Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The 1099-R reports distributions from retirement plans. So it reported the amount coming OUT of the 401k plan.

The 5498 reports contributions to IRA accounts of various types and flavors. (It also reports the FMV of those IRAs so any RMDs can be calculated.)

I have a Roth IRA and an inherited traditional IRA. I usually (always?) get a 5498 for the Roth, which I typically stick with last year's return and ignore. I always get a 1099-R for the inherited IRA, because I am taking RMDs.

I don't recall ever getting a 5498 for the inherited IRA. This isn't a big deal for calculating RMDs, because I know I need to do that and I have my December statement, but still . . . should I be getting a 5498 for the inherited IRA?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.