No. of Recommendations: 0
The 3 to 5 yrs of bonds is intended for those who are retired based on investment income. Keeping all the money in
stocks gives the best chance to keep up with inflation. The bonds cover the years when the stock market may be
down, so it keeps you from being forced to sell stocks in a down market.

Hi there. I have just been handed the "educational" task of handling a relative's retirement account.
I am interested in understanding the allocation of bonds in a primarily stock retirement portfolio. Your statement (above) seems to be the fundamental reason for doing this. However, I would like to question why bonds instead of moneymarket? I do not know much about bonds, so please help me out with relevant links if possible. My concern is this: I would consider the bond portion of the fund akin to an emergency fund in the sense that it is drawn upon when other resources are doing poorly. In that case, I reminisce to a time when I was "chided" for considering using bonds for an emergency fund. I was told they were "too risky", an emergency fund HAS TO BE THERE when you need it, and its goal is NOT PERFORMANCE BUT RELIABILITY. Bonds do have fluctuating prices, so who is to say that the hard times for the stock funds won't coincide with rising interest rates and a dive in the price of a bond you are currently holding? Is that worth the risk for your backup holdings, the money that is supposed to be available in bad times?

Since I am inexperienced in bonds, can you help me understand how much better bond performance runs compared to money market accounts? What really is the risk level? Should a retirement portfolio consist of money market as well as a bond portion?

Thanks for any help,

-nacohn
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement