Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: trader2012 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 652  
Subject: Re: Hook & Hackle Sale Date: 5/26/2012 5:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The 6'6", 2wt Xi Series blank I ordered arrived in today's mail. It is a beautifully-finished blank that the website describes as "medium fast", but which I'd rate as "fast" on the basis of a not so scientific "wiggle test" (rather than The Common Cents System). But that was exactly the action I was hoping for, given that I've built on Bateson's 6'6", 2wt blanks before, and they really are "mediums", even though the mfgr describes them as "mod-fast".

The H&H website gives the blank weight as 0.8 oz. My gram scale confirms that estimate (24g), which is what the Bateson blanks weigh as well. But here is the kicker. With a 50%-off discount, the H&H costs the same as a Bateson, but is a far better blank, so much so, I did the really crazy thing of ordering a second one just now, plus one of the 6'6" 2 wt in the FTX series. (I love short rods. They are perfect for tiny creeks and native cutthroats.)

The 10'0" 3wt I also bought (and also described as "medium fast") is a noodle of a blank, a real disappointment, though, maybe, eventually, a very serviceable rod. I just don't know at this point, and won't know, until I've taped on guides and thrown some line. Also, I've never bought a Czech-style blank before, and maybe I'm asking of it something for which it isn't intended. (Live and learn, right?)

On the first order with them, I was offered free shipping. This time around, there was an $8.95 charge. Who knows? But I didn't argue.

http://www.common-cents.info/
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement