UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1954936  
Subject: Re: An inclusive republican platform Date: 11/13/2012 1:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The ACA is much broader in scope than the Mass effort. The CBO is scoring that the ACA will reduce the deficit by over a trillion dollars over its second decade.

I've seen the claims, and I've also saw one of the advisers who helped craft the ACA say just the opposite. I don't believe the CBO's estimates. Now the law does have the advantage of having a 2 year start on tax collection before the payouts begin, so in that regard early on they may see a deficit reduction. Having said that, how do they believe that Medicare spending is going to go down? The first wave of the boomers are just hitting which means many more people are going to be on the plan. It sounds dubious at best. Secondly, what is being done to reduce costs? The fallacy of having all those healthy uninsured people watering down the insurance pool doesn't reflect reality. Ask yourself this: Is an uninsured person more or less likely to consume health care? When an uninsured person becomes insured, are they more or less likely to consume health care? The answer is obvious on both and I've seen it first hand with my parents. When they finally got coverage they both consumed a lot more health care than they had previously. This behavior drives up costs.

I began this thread asking how conservatives will find their way out of the woods and appeal to more voters.

Yes, and I responded in kind.

My descriptions of the ACA are intended to show the serious work of governance that is being performed in large part by democrats and non-profits alone.

Health care and entitlements are a serious issue.

I was and am asking for similarly detailed policy documents that conservatives have developed that will solve some of these problems, and attract a larger share of voters.

I mistook your "inclusive" title to mean social conservative stances such as immigration and abortion. Those are wedge issues that can drive voters away. As far as GOP policy documents, a Google search can give you that. As for me, I'm just trying to talk through the issue. I didn't realize you simply wanted a GOP standard bearer.

Grape
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement