Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: drdrewes Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121599  
Subject: The accursed wash sale rules. Date: 12/20/2000 3:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello, Tax Strategy Fools. I have a wash sale question.

In April of '99, I bought 82 shares of Worldcom at $58 apiece, for a cost basis of roughly $4750. This year, WCOM has gone into the dumper w/most of telecom, so I figured I could chop my tax bill by selling this year and then buying back after the 30-day period required by the wash sale rules.

Since WCOM was recently trading at $16, I stood to realize a loss of 82*(58-16), or roughly $3400.

But, then... I did a very dumb thing.

Instead of hitting "SELL" on my online trading page, I hit "BUY", which instead of closing out my position, doubled it. (Bought another 82 shares, at roughly $16).

After realizing my mistake and kicking myself repeatedly, I sold the whole position (164 shares at about $16).

Now I'm wondering where I stand w/regard to those accursed wash sale rules. Since I bought shares within 30 days of selling, will my juicy $3400 loss this year be disallowed?

I've breezed through IRS Publication 550, and my current theory is that the wash sale rules will indeed disallow the $3400 loss on the 82 shares purchased in April of '99. That $3400 will instead go to an increase in my basis on the 82 shares I mistakenly bought recently in Dec. 2000. And, since I sold those "Dec. 2000" 82 shares as part of the total 164-share sale, I will be able to claim the $3400 loss as part of the sale of my "Dec. 2000" 82 share block of WCOM.

Another thing I remember which supports this is that I recall from TMF Taxes' wash sale column a statement that if you close out your position prior to the end of the tax year (which I've done) and then stay out for 30 days after the sale(which I definitely plan to do), that you're OK, tax-wise. (Apologies if this is mis-remembered)

So, bottom line, I still think I can deduct my $3400 loss in spite of my own stupidity.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks much,
Doug
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement