UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20858  
Subject: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/3/2012 1:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Twists and Turns Along a Kentucky Doughnut Trail

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/travel/twists-and-turns...

Still, in the vast American heartland, where Germans and Scandinavian immigrants brought their baking skills with them, doughnut culture survives.

Anyone curious to test the thesis can follow the horseshoe-shaped route that I have charted in my frequent wanderings along the byways of central Kentucky in recent years, driven by the love of sweet fried dough.

Kentucky does not really belong to the Midwest. But the power of the doughnut has created a lucky overlap. Think of the state, despite its Southern accent and Southern ways, as the paunch hanging over the Midwestern bakery belt, the last calorie-filled province in an enormous swath of territory where the glazed twist, the apple fritter, the chocolate-iced Long John and the vanilla-cream Bismarck hold sway.

There is no maple bacon doughnut on that list. But you can find one at Nord’s Bakery in Louisville, the first stop on the route.

When Anthony Bourdain's show No Reservations visited the PNW, he had a maple bacon doughnut at Portland's own Voodoo Donuts. I don't eat donuts because of the carbs but I figure Voodoo must be good. I've seen passengers at PDX carrying boxes of them onto planes.

--fleg
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19029 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/3/2012 5:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
I've seen passengers at PDX carrying boxes of them onto planes.

I've seen lots of folks carrying Krispy Kreme doughnut boxes all over NYC. Doesn't mean that I'm ever going to eat one of those greasy things.

Christina

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19030 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/3/2012 6:32 PM
I've seen lots of folks carrying Krispy Kreme doughnut boxes all over NYC. Doesn't mean that I'm ever going to eat one of those greasy things.

Back in the day when I ate such things I tried a few Krispy Kremes, just to see what all the fuss was about. Even fresh from the KK bakery, they were not impressive and I stuck to Dunkin' when I wanted a donut. I'd like to try one bite of a Voodoo bacon maple just to see, but then I'd have to buy the whole thing.

--fleg

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19031 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/3/2012 7:20 PM

You've seen me eat, so I know this will come as somewhat of a shock, but I find them just too icky sweet. Grease, OTOH, is why we were born.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19032 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/3/2012 9:16 PM
You've seen me eat, so I know this will come as somewhat of a shock, but I find them just too icky sweet. Grease, OTOH, is why we were born.

Well, you've seen me eat too. But AFAIAC, grease can indeed be a good thing -- but not necessarily in my pastries -- or doughnuts in this case. As far as they're being too sweet, I've never tasted one so I wouldn't know about that.

They just smell so GREASY that they don't appeal to me.

Christina

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19033 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/4/2012 11:19 AM
Even fresh from the KK bakery, they were not impressive

Agreed... to much sugar.

and I stuck to Dunkin' when I wanted a donut.

It's amazing to me how many Dunkin' Donut stores are on the eastern seaboard. The chain product is mediocre.

I'd like to try one bite of a Voodoo bacon maple just to see,

Mmmm.. Done right, the sweet and savory combo is a slam dunk .

The thing is, good ingredients - good bacon and good maple sugar- is necessary to make it right. Most donut shops use low quality ingredients.

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19034 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/4/2012 11:22 AM
Maple Donut Chain products are a MUCH tasting donut.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19035 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/4/2012 3:18 PM
It's amazing to me how many Dunkin' Donut stores are on the eastern seaboard. The chain product is mediocre.

Better than the grocery stores, but 'yeah'...mediocre.

KKD is really good when fresh and warm. After they've cooled, yuck.

I used to be able to pound down the donuts, but if I do that today I'll feel crappy for hours.

And I was just recently told of a shop I need to try...damn...

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19036 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/4/2012 3:28 PM
KKD is really good when fresh and warm. After they've cooled, yuck.

That's because grease is tasty when warm; not so much when cold.

Christina

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19037 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/4/2012 4:36 PM
I must admit, about once every two months, I'll stop by the local Krispy Creme bakery and get a cup of coffee and two hot donuts.

Donna (must satisfy cravings every once in a while)

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19038 of 20858
Subject: Re: The American doughnut trail Date: 11/5/2012 12:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
I just had Krisy Kreme. At the location I went to, in the mornings, if you stand by their little mechanical assembly line contraption thingy, they will hand you a free glazed when a large batch comes out hot and fresh. It's sort of embarrassing....you see a crowd of about 5-15 (adults and kids) just standing their, wagging their tails, waiting for the freebies....I got one myself, and happily skipped away giggling.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement