Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The amount of social security benefits depends on the
earned income, wages salary etc not dividends or
captial gains. I suggest you contact the social security admin near you and request the form to get
your earnings statment. Fill it out and SS will sned
back your estimated benefits depinding on your earned
income and when you retire. Do this BEFORE you retire.

The other factor is how much of your ss benefits
is taxable. To determine this all your income, earned,
unearned are included. The best way to estimate is
get the 1040 instructions along with the 1040 form
and go through the worksheet using the estimated
amount of benefits you will receive. This excersize should give you a ball park number. You accountant is correct, if you have high divdends and capital gains etc, the amount that your ss is taxed could be high.

This has nothing to do with the recent legislation
just signed by the president that allow retirees, 65- 70 to earn as much as thye like. However, they too will find if they have a higher income, they wont lose any benefits but more of the SS benefits will likely be taxed. That little pice of information the govt and the news media for the most part leave out.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.