No. of Recommendations: 2
the Amsterdam Stedelijk Museum

So there aren't any Vermeers in the Stedelijk, but I thought this was interesting:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732412300457905...

"Tim's Vermeer," a documentary directed by the Teller of Penn & Teller.

The subject at hand [is] the 17th-century Dutch painter whose interior scenes of middle-class life seem to possess a supernal glow. The Tim of the title is Tim Jenison, an obviously brilliant and hugely companionable inventor — a Yankee tinkerer in the digital age. He devises a practical test of the notion, advanced most recently by David Hockney, that Vermeer achieved his mysterious photorealism with the help of optical tools — a camera obscura plus lenses and mirrors — that were widely available in the Holland of his time. It's thrilling to watch Mr. Jenison, who keeps reminding us that he's no painter, use those tools to pull off a kind of magic trick — creating an entirely convincing Vermeer with his own hand.

I hope it comes soon to a theater near me.

--fleg
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement