Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dccats5 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 51569  
Subject: Re: I Pay Attention Date: 11/16/2012 1:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The Angels had a team batting overage of .274, vs. .268 for the Tigers and scored 41 more runs. Their respective team ERA's were 4.02 and 3.75, which equates to another 40 or so runs. Detroit had the #2 Cy Young finisher, while the Angels had #3. Looks to be pretty much a wash, except that Cabrera had better numbers everywhere except stolen bases.

And his team won.

Let me start by saying that I believe Cabrera should have won the MVP. But, an interesting take on the "his team won" argument, also known as the "only those that reach the playoffs should be MVP" argument.

Anaheim actually won more games than Detroit. Sure, they didn't make the playoffs and didn't win their division, but of course, they weren't helped by a free falling Chicago White Sox team like Detroit was. Chicago went 4-8 in their last 12 games. Detroit passed them by going 8-4 (and Cabrera played a big role in that, so he deserves some credit there).

The Angels also went 8-4, but they were chasing the A's who went 9-3 and the Orioles who went 7-5.

So again, this is not an argument that Cabrera shouldn't have won. It's an attempt at a cautionary tale for making the argument that he should have won because his team went to the playoffs and someone else's didn't.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement