Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Ganado Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 568  
Subject: Re: Enduring inconsistent living Date: 6/22/2003 11:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
The answer to every "why" is.......because.

When you start with a why you are lost on a treadmill of excuses. I know this seems harsh but perhaps you can start with...what do I believe about this.... rather than why.

Sometimes our attention gets stuck on stuff we don't want it to be stuck on .... like anger, depression, fear, the 'why's' of living.

If you have a scale (play with me here I usually draw a scale and do this with a visual) with 'Free Attention' at the top and 'Fixed Attention' at the bottom. And any where on that scale you can place "Focused Attention".

Ask yourself what is free attention for you? What are the feelings & impressions associated with it? For some it is a meditative state, for some it is living in the now and for some it is a happy feeling. Whatever it is for you. When you have an idea of what that is for you then ask yourself.

What is fixed attention? What are the feelings and impressions associated with fixed attention? When someone is doing something you think is wrong, is that fixed attention on how they are wrong? What about fear, anger, depression, are these fixed attention on something we want and don't feel like we can have or deserve? Maybe procrastination is fixed attention? I don't know you have to decide that for yourself. Because this only works if you know what the difference between fixed and free attention is for you.

Focused attention is like focusing on something and the when you need to move to something else you can do that freely and easily. Focus on something else. Move your attention from thing to project to person at will.

Now here is the trick question.

Is it easier to focus your attention when you have your attention fixed on an emotion or a judgement or can you focus your attention more easily when you are in the free attention end of the scale?

The trick is to ask yourself....where is my attention on the scale and how can I move it to where I want my attention to be. This is the essence of living deliberately.

G
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement