UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1967353  
Subject: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 12:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Clean slate. The Republicans will stop blaming him for the actions of his immediate predecessor.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797237 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 1:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Clean slate. The Republicans will stop blaming him for the actions of his immediate predecessor.

Then they wouldn't have anything to blame on Obama.

Economy. JOBS. Wars. And so on.

Obama wins in a landslide.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797239 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 1:10 PM
Economy. JOBS. Wars. And so on.

Here in the northeast, unemployment is ticking up. Up in NH, ME, and RI. Steady in MA, but they lost jobs. This is year 4 of the Obama administration. To think he won't be held accountable for the state of the economy is curious to say the least. How long has it been since he met with his jobs commission???

Grape

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797254 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 2:24 PM
Here in the northeast, unemployment is ticking up.

Here in MN, unemployment is steadily dropping with no change every now and then. However, the obvious trend is toward more employment.

How long has it been since he met with his jobs commission???

The govt doesn't create jobs--remember? Or not? So why would it matter?

Given Congressional unemployment at 8.2% and Obama's unemployment at 5.9% to 7.46%, I don't see any problems.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797256 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 2:27 PM
Recommendations: 0
The govt doesn't create jobs--remember? Or not? So why would it matter?

No, but they create an environment that is condusive to job growth.

Grape

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797261 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 2:59 PM
Recommendations: 54
but they create an environment that is condusive to job growth.

Correct. Which is why it is so obvious Congress is the problem--not Obama.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797262 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 3:00 PM
No, but they create an environment that is condusive to job growth.

The funny part, still, is the folks he damns for not building anything paid for the damn things that he says they didn't build anyway!

How dare those folks in the borrom 95 percent use the stuff that others have paid for.

Hey you, in the 85 civic, you didn't pay for that how dare you use that road!

What a putz we have in the WHite House.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797270 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 4:31 PM
"but they create an environment that is condusive to job growth.

Correct. Which is why it is so obvious Congress is the problem--not Obama."

liberal logic for ya. This poster obviously failed logic class in school.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797291 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 7:31 PM
To think he won't be held accountable for the state of the economy is curious to say the least. How long has it been since he met with his jobs commission???

I'm looking at data on jobs and wondering what you're talking about.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155048/job-creation-largely-stead...

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797292 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 7:38 PM

Oh my God!!!

The entire world is wrong, glad you pointed it out we do not have a massive unemployment problem. My God what liars those people are

Thanks!!!!

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797293 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 8:01 PM

8.2% unemployment (and climbing in my area). An anemic GDP growth rate. Spiraling debt. Entitlements under strain. A false economy where businesses aren't allowed to fail and money is printed and given away. Burdensome laws such as Obamacare (I already heard from one business owner who tells me it's going to hurt his business). Nah, all's peachy keen. Keep on keeping on...

Grape

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797294 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 8:11 PM
" Nah, all's peachy keen. Keep on keeping on..."

You have to understand that the lefty poster you responded to has been brainwashed into thinking that 8% unemployment is the new norm.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797319 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/22/2012 10:13 PM
Recommendations: 21
8.2% unemployment . . .

Maybe you missed when the massive job loss started . . . early 2008. Who was President then?

Or maybe you missed when the job loss problem started turning around . . . early 2009? Who was President then?

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797351 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 8:18 AM
Or maybe you missed when the job loss problem started turning around . . . early 2009? Who was President then?

The same guy who said the stimulus would keep unemployment under 8%. The same guy who later said he didn't understand the scope of the problem. Comforting...

Grape

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797352 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 8:27 AM
"The same guy who said the stimulus would keep unemployment under 8%."

Long time ago shown to be "Mostly False" - and based on the link below, as to Obama actually ever so stating, totally false. You have a link to the contrary, or just repeats of the lie?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/jul/...

"The same guy who later said he didn't understand the scope of the problem. Comforting..."

Please point to three high ranking Republicans who understood how bad W had screwed the pooch. OK, two? OK, one? Or any elected Republican so stating?

Ken

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797354 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 8:32 AM
Long time ago shown to be "Mostly False" - and based on the link below, as to Obama actually ever so stating, totally false. You have a link to the contrary, or just repeats of the lie?

From your link:

Their report projected that the stimulus plan proposed by Obama would create 3 million to 4 million jobs by the end of 2010. The report also included a chart predicting unemployment rates with and without the stimulus. Without the stimulus (the baseline), unemployment was projected to hit about 8.5 percent in 2009 and then continue rising to a peak of about 9 percent in 2010. With the stimulus, they predicted the unemployment rate would peak at just under 8 percent in 2009.

Please point to three high ranking Republicans who understood how bad W had screwed the pooch.

The Republican's aren't holding the Presidency, Obama is.

Grape

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797356 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 8:40 AM
Nope. Still a lie. Obama did not say it - as you asserted he had. More accurately, from the link:

"First, we could find no instance of anyone in the administration directly making such a public pledge. Rather, it comes via a Jan. 9, 2009, report called "The Job Impact of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan" from Christina Romer, chairwoman of the president's Council of Economic Advisers, and Jared Bernstein, the vice president's top economic adviser.

Their report projected that the stimulus plan proposed by Obama would create 3 million to 4 million jobs by the end of 2010. The report also included a chart predicting unemployment rates with and without the stimulus. Without the stimulus (the baseline), unemployment was projected to hit about 8.5 percent in 2009 and then continue rising to a peak of about 9 percent in 2010. With the stimulus, they predicted the unemployment rate would peak at just under 8 percent in 2009."

"Please point to three high ranking Republicans who understood how bad W had screwed the pooch.

The Republican's aren't holding the Presidency, Obama is."

In other words, the Republicans still try to blame W's mess on Obama and resent when anyone points out what a mess W left and the difficulties in undoing "Mr. 9/11"'s disaster.

Ken

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797363 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 8:47 AM
Nope. Still a lie. Obama did not say it - as you asserted he had. More accurately, from the link:

It came from his administration. Are you telling me he doesn't stand by his advisers?

In other words, the Republicans still try to blame W's mess on Obama and resent when anyone points out what a mess W left and the difficulties in undoing "Mr. 9/11"'s disaster.

He assembled the best and brightest from academia didn't he? How could he not understand the scope of the problem? You're trying to shift the conversation. My comment was about his administration admitting they didn't understand the scope of the problem, not about blaming him for the recession. You're obfuscating.

Grape

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797365 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 8:52 AM
"You're obfuscating."

Nope.

You're still repeating the Republican lie.

And you still haven't shown a single Republican who pointed out the extent of the W mess or had any frakkin' idea what to do about it -- other, apparently, than ineffectively, when it comes to the economy, trying to create a new American cottage industry in anti-abortion legislation writers at the Federal and State levels.

Ken

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797366 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 8:58 AM
Nope.

Okay, I said he didn't understand the scope of the problem and you shifted the conversation into blaming him for the recession. Tell me, how is that NOT obfuscation?

You're still repeating the Republican lie.

So Obama doesn't stand by his advisers report then? If he doesn't have faith in the report they produced, clearly he fired and replaced them correct? This is to serious of an issue to have advisers who can't provide proper data.

And you still haven't shown a single Republican who pointed out the extent of the W mess or had any frakkin' idea what to do about it

This is just another attempt at obfuscation. Obama has all the resources at his disposal. As President, it's his job to figure out what is wrong and lead us in a direction that will cure our ills. If a Republican was in the Presidency, then it would be his or her job. Like it or not, that's what he signed up for.

Grape

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797369 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 9:27 AM
There's really no point in discussing it further with you. You assert that Obama made a public assertion, and when shown that never happened, instead of acknowledging the error (actually, the lie) you insist on equivalence in an "advisor's" internal statement.

You blame Obama for not magically fixing W's mess or recognizing upon taking office how bad Mr. 9/11 frakked up, and still refuse to recognize that mess or that no Republican, from W's Administration on to today, is willing to recognize it.

Like I said, no point. I guess Obama just can't count on your vote.

Ken

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797370 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 9:27 AM

What a load of poo. Christina Romer's team put together the chart that showed unemployment would be <6% by now if we passed the stimulus. As in, former CEA chair Romer, as in, the person Barack Obama got his economic advice from.

Seriously, Ken. There's lying, and then there's stupid lying. You guys can't walk out into a thunderstorm and claim the sun is shining in the internet age.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797372 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 9:32 AM
There's really no point in discussing it further with you. You assert that Obama made a public assertion, and when shown that never happened, instead of acknowledging the error (actually, the lie) you insist on equivalence in an "advisor's" internal statement.

Of course there isn't. Because your nose has grown so long you can no longer exit a vehicle.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797373 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 9:38 AM
What the Romer team suggested was that without the limited things would be worse, and, yes, they were overly optimistic about what the limited stimulus could achieve.

If anything, as Krugman argued, and Romer supposedly was at one time pushing, the stimulus should have been much bigger, at least twice as big.

In any event Obama never made any such public assertion/promise/declaration.

And the reality remains that Obama did do something despite Republican Congress Critters doing everything they could to succeed at his failure.

Ken

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797375 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 9:40 AM
You're still living down to your handle.

Congrats!

Ken

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797376 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 9:40 AM
You assert that Obama made a public assertion, and when shown that never happened, instead of acknowledging the error (actually, the lie) you insist on equivalence in an "advisor's" internal statement.

But yet that made the news. Go figure. BTW, the report was the basis for the stimulus package that Obama presented to Congress. So in your world, apparently Obama isn't accountable for his staff. Got it.

You blame Obama for not magically fixing W's mess

It's hard to fix it when you admit you don't understand the scope of the problem.

Grape

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797384 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 9:58 AM
"Clean slate. The Republicans will stop blaming him for the actions of his immediate predecessor. "

???

In case you are just joining us, This IS Obama's economy and jobs picture (not Bush's).

#1 issue this election is economy/jobs, People will look at Obama's record/results on the economy/jobs for his first term and ask themselves if they want 4 more years of this record/results.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797408 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 11:21 AM
And you're ignoring the First Rule of Holes (stop digging).

If you want to claim that Barack Obama passed a trillion dollar stimulus package yet had no idea of the impact it would have, be my guest. To complete the circle of cognitive dissonance, make your next post about how Obama tries to make sure that money is spent wisely.

The Obama campaign is so dishonest they may actually try and claim that. They seem to operate on the One Born Every Minute principle.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797410 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 11:26 AM
???

Yeah. Thought so.

You've been blaming Obama so long for his predecessor's destruction of the economy and the doubling of the national debt, that I think it only consistent that if he wins re-election you stop blaming him for the activities of the president in the term immediately preceding his second term.

See, the point being if you guys were honest at the start that Bush created a bigger hole than any since Coolidge/Hoover, you'd have understood that it does not take one or two years to right the capsized ship of state.

Got it? It was an attempt at sarcasm.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797411 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 11:27 AM
<Sigh>

Gonna try taking a break from PA for a while. Give the Prilosec a fighting chance.

Have a good summer all. If I can do it, won't be back until after Labor Day. If I can hold out, not until after the election.

Carry on and stay calm.

Ken

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797414 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 11:30 AM
Gonna try taking a break from PA for a while. Give the Prilosec a fighting chance.

Nothing is worth your health. Try and remember that at the end of the day arguing politics is supposed to be fun. Take care of yourself and have a good summer.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797417 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 11:34 AM
Recommendations: 2
See, the point being if you guys were honest at the start that Bush created a bigger hole than any since Coolidge/Hoover, you'd have understood that it does not take one or two years to right the capsized ship of state.

The dishonest left keeps making the same false claims as if they somehow will become true if they keep telling the same lie.

WHo believes the ship is going to be right in 2-3 years(except those who believed Obama's rhetoric of course)?

The folks who think Obama has been a disaster believe we should have made better progress, and that less progress would be almost impossible. A recovery comes after a few bad years, unless you do really stupid stuff.

That is what Obama has chosen to do. It is not that anyone could have made it 'right' just that almost anyone else would ahve mode it ;ess capsized than it remains.

Obama did come in when it was a mess. Another of the lies is of course that it was magically all about Bush making it so. You want liars about a situation? Try a mirror. YEs he should have been better. He however had little to do with the disaster that unfolded. I know honesty does not fit in any way shape or form to the left's arguments. But it remains true.

Obama is a clod, he is a remarkably large impediment to any progress. Yes anyone would be better, except shell mates like Reid and Pelosi.

When you try honest arguments, you will likely get more honest debate, while wearing the big shoes and red nose you may see suave and debonair in the mirror, but you apparently have no reflection and that is not you but someone just walking by behind you.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797421 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 11:46 AM
Try and remember that at the end of the day arguing politics is supposed to be fun.

I sometimes wonder what the conversations would be like if we were all in the same room instead of just a virtual one. I don't understand why people sometimes allow these discussions to consume them. Nor do I get the insults like "libtard", "wingnut", and "tea bagger". Adds nothing to the discussion. It's all water off a ducks back for me...

Grape

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797436 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 12:22 PM
"See, the point being if you guys were honest at the start that Bush created a bigger hole"

What hole are you talking about?
The hole was created by the mortgage/financial collapse which was not craeted or caused by Bush.

did Bush spend too much? yep!
Did Obama spend more than Bush, yep!

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797454 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 1:09 PM
The hole was created by the mortgage/financial collapse which was not craeted or caused by Bush.

Nothing? Really? He did everything to try to stop it -- using all federal powers to stop the rampant speculation and loose behavior? really?

You're right: he did nothing, but had he done something other than run up the debt and decrease regulation and start a stupid war, maybe things would have been better.

did Bush spend too much? yep!
Did Obama spend more than Bush, yep!

\
Of course, Bush was handed a healthy economy and a budget surplus, but did not hand either off to Obama. of course, by your lights, Bush is not responsible.

Oh, and by the way, debt to get out of a depression is a good use of debt; debt to cut taxes to those who don't need the tax cuts while not paying for a diastrous war and more, is not.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797461 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 1:20 PM
Nothing? Really? He did everything to try to stop it -- using all federal powers to stop the rampant speculation and loose behavior? really?

Ahem. The Bush admin tried to rein in Fannie and Freddie, two key players in the housing bust (yes, yes, I know you don't agree with that statement). In fact, the timeline looks like this:

https://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2008/09/21/the-white-house-war...

February: The President’s FY05 Budget againhighlights the risk posed by the explosive growth of the GSEs and their low levels of required capital, and called for creation of a new, world-class regulator: “The Administration has determined that the safety and soundness regulators of the housing GSEs lack sufficient power and stature to meet their responsibilities, and therefore…should be replaced with a new strengthened regulator.” (2005 Budget Analytic Perspectives, pg. 83)

Just one snippet.

So Bush did nothing? Hardly. Did he do enough? No. But to lay it all at his feet ignores reality.

We'll leave your view of economics for another time.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797474 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 1:44 PM
So Bush did nothing? Hardly. Did he do enough? No. But to lay it all at his feet ignores reality.

I actually didn't say he did nothing. That was in the post I responded to.

I'm glad you agree that he did not do enough.

But am I right in your belief, desire, whatever, to lay everything that happened since 1-20-09 at the feet of Obama? Because I cannot recall reading anything you have written acknowledging the tough position he was in and the positives that have come from his efforts, whether enough or not.

So, tell me your "reality" as regards laying it all at the feet of Obama?

As for views of the economy, I doubt there is anything you could enlighten me on.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1797493 of 1967353
Subject: Re: The Benefits of Re-election for Obama Date: 7/23/2012 2:17 PM
I actually didn't say he did nothing. That was in the post I responded to.

I'm glad you agree that he did not do enough.

The bully pulpit would have helped, as would have leaning on Greenspan to take his regulator position more seriously. Greenspan will go down in history as an Epic Fail in that regard.

But am I right in your belief, desire, whatever, to lay everything that happened since 1-20-09 at the feet of Obama? Because I cannot recall reading anything you have written acknowledging the tough position he was in and the positives that have come from his efforts, whether enough or not.

What's this supposed to mean? The Presidency is a tough job. Boo Hoo for Obama if he can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen if he can't take it.

Secondly. I've posted a million times the deep roots of the financial crisis. I laid a lot of it on Bush...GHWB as a matter of fact, for signing a lot of legislation that was loaded with unintended consequences. I've excoriated just about every official in the government that I could find.

And you know what? None of that is relevant. What IS relevant are Obama's choices on how to handle the economy. Most of his choices have been failures. These stem from his fundamental lack of understanding of the economy, business, and business cycles. To wit:

Cash for clunkers: All this did was pull demand forward by offering a short-range incentive. In other words, if you were maybe thinking about buying car in 6 months, maybe you'd advance your purchase by that date. But it did nothing to help out the broader economy, was too narrowly focused, and actually removed perfectly good used cars - assets that had many years of usable life in them - in an attempt to goose demand. Needless to say, it didn't work.

I could type a similar analysis of the mortgage home buyers credit. The point is, any microecon 101 student could look at these things and say right off the bat, "That's not going to work,". But Obama can't. Neither can his supposedly crack CEA team.

This is the Presidency. You don't get a gold star and a pat on the head for trying hard. The bottom line is that Obama's policies are largely failures. What's worked is what he inherited from Bush (the tax cuts, TARP). What's failed have been his own ideas (stimulus, cash for clunkers, mortgage home buyer stuff, his litany of tax credits that are really transfer payments).

He doesn't deserve a 2nd term. Especially when he's campaigning on the same stuff that even his own party can't get behind. Ask Schumer and Pelosi how eager they are to raise taxes on $250k households.

As for views of the economy, I doubt there is anything you could enlighten me on.

Read the above, although I doubt you give it much thought.

You're wrapped around the axle of blame. Which is understandable. You spent 8 years blaming Bush for every rain drop on every parade, so naturally you assume that everyone else is motivated like you are. That's not the case. I expect results from the President and the government. The current occupant can't deliver results, so it's time for a new one.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement