No. of Recommendations: 0
The best you can do is invest in the long term buy and hold style (LTBH in Foolish lingo) in a taxable account. Then you pay taxes only when you sell and then at capital gains rates. Stocks with no dividends are preferred, or qualified dividends are taxed at a low rate similar to capital gains.

An equivalent way is to purchase a variable annuity. Usually you can make repeated additions to the annuity and gains grow tax free. The problem is that most are sold by insurance companies that charge high fees and have surrender charges that keep you from moving your money if the fund you choose under performs. As far as I know all offer a selection of managed mutual funds to choose from. None allow stock trading as you can do in an IRA or Roth.

If you choose to go with an annuity, check out those offered by low cost providers like Fidelity, Vanguard, TRowe Price, TIAA Cref etc.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.