Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SoftSimp Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5056  
Subject: Re: Something for me to think about Date: 8/8/2003 3:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The big question is, does anyone who is smarter than I, all of you, think I'll make more money by buying some rental properties than I would if I stuck with stocks?

I don't know that I'm any smarter than you, but in my "Funding Future Needs" post I discovered that I can get where I want to be in 20 years by buying rental properties, but I can't get there in the stock market. So my answer would be yes, you'll do better with rental properties, if you can manage to get them paid off before retiring OR if you can accumulate enough of them to live off the income while still paying a mortgage on them.

BTW, I figured out that based on our current rate of investment and a 3% increase in DH's salary for the next 20 years allowing us to increase that rate of investment, and an 8% return, we will have $814,544 in 20 years. Not enough to retire on.

If we buy 5 rental properties over the next 8 years (as we save up the down payments), we'll be able to not only stop working and live off the rental income in 20 years, but we'll also have an additional 300,000+ stashed away in stock/bond investments.

Now that I've figured out my current budget, my future needs, and how I'm going to get there, I really need to let all of you take it from here so I can get some paying work done.

I really, really, like the new board. Writing this stuff down has helped me figure out a lot of things that I only had vague notions of before. Glad I stuck around - thanks mazske and FMO. :)

SS
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

The American Energy Revolution
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement