Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 198  
Subject: Re: Undiagnosed LD, Mental Illness, etc. Date: 12/17/2006 4:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The cannot intervene unless he gives his permission for them to have the information. They can, however, put him out of the house since he is an adult and technically can be on his own since they are no longer legally responsible for him. That's the risk he's taking, but it might be worthwhile for him at this point.

They've been threatening to throw him out on his 18th birthday for the last couple of years. It's since come and gone and they haven't done it. At the same time, he also said he couldn't wait till move out on the same. He's since realized it's not as easy to do as it is to say.

Some of the guidance I've been giving him, while he's still listening to me and trusts what I say, is that he needs to gain true personal accountability and responsibility for himself so that he can remain independent and live the way he wants. He doesn't get it yet since he thinks the world "owes" him things he thinks he should be entitled to. I'm teaching him he needs to work hard in general to survive and be independent, but even harder for his own desires and goals. Sometimes, I say to him, it requires delaying gratification, suffering for a bit (enduring school, suffering through a petty job he hates, whatever) in order to get what he really wants, and then to keep (maintain) it.

It might sound odd to others perhaps, but I never thought these principles - that I consider fundamental - to be so difficult for him to understand. I know he lacks experience with independent living, adult responsibility, and related, but he absolutely doesn't seem to appreciate that he can't have it all his way, on his own terms.

Any thoughts about how/why 'normal' teens think and how it differs from 'troubled' teens think, I'd appreciate it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement