No. of Recommendations: 0
The Capital loss will end up on Schedule D, Line 17 and $3000 of that will be brought forward to your Form 1040, line 13, as a loss. The remaining portion of the loss will be carried over and used next year in the same manner unless you happen to have a capital gain as an offset next year. If not, then you will have another carryover loss to use in 2005 at $3000 per year until the total loss has been used up.

Thus, the loss you have sustained on that tech stock will be used to offset the tax on the IRA conversion to the tune of $3000 ($1500 if you are married filing separately). It all happens on Form 1040 whereas a capital gain would be written off on Schedule D before any remainder is brought to Form 1040, line 13. In the end, you get the thing you wanted which was to use the capital loss to offset the tax on the conversion. Congratulations!

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.