UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (137) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SanDiegoDave100 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128074  
Subject: The Case for Residential Solar Date: 10/14/2006 3:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
Subject: Solar Energy and the Tesla Motors Electric Car

Just thought you might want to see some numbers I ran on the case for solar energy and using such a system to provide electricity to an all-electric car.

My current home electrical usage is about 600 Kilo-watt-hours (Kwh) per month. This is pretty normal for a family of two in a single family house. San Diego Gas & Electricity (SDG&E) charge the following:
First 300 Kwh @ $.1238/Kwh = $37
Next 100 Kwh @ $.1440/Kwh = $14
Next 300 Kwh @ $.2518/Kwh = $50
Total = $101

Now, my fuel bill for the car is:
1500 miles/month / 25 mpg = 60 gallons/month (about a fill-up a week)
60 gallons/month * $3.00/gal = $180/month

Total energy bill = $101 + $180 = $280/month

Using conservative Tesla Motors numbers for power for their vehicle:
1500 miles/month @ .250 Kwh/mile = 375 Kwh

So, to power my household and provide power to recharge my electric vehicle, I need about 600 Kwh + 375 Kwh = 975 Kwh.

According to the “Clean Power Estimator” website: http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/renewables/estimator/index.html

An 8.0 KW system would provide an average of about 950 KWh over the course of a year. My zip code is 92024 (San Diego, CA) which is used to make the calculation.

At today's prices online at http://wholesalesolar.com/gridtie_prices_sanyo.html , I could purchase an 8.0 KW system for about $55,500 before rebates. This is before any tax breaks. California offers a $2.60/watt. This is described at the Cal Solar website:
http://www.californiasolarcenter.org/incentives.html . If the system is “owner-installed” then a 15% discount on the rebate reduces it to $17,680. Thus, the system cost would be $37,820 after rebates.

A home equity loan of $37,800 at the current 6.5% rate would be only $239/month. Therefore, with rebates, such a solar system would actually save me $40/month in total fuel/energy costs. And I use NO OIL! I produce NO HYDROCARBON emissions.

When “NanoSolar” of Florida goes into production in 2007, I expect solar prices per watt to plummet by half.

Optimistically, I would hope that Tesla Motors could come out with a reasonable all-electric commuter vehicle within a couple of years.

Additionally, there are tax credit issues beyond the rebate. I admit I can't figure out the tax credits issue. It appears too complicated at this time for this simple analysis.

Finally, SDG&E tiered rates continue to increase beyond what I use or show above. The next 300 Kwh are at @ $.26/Kwh and the following 300 after that are at $.27/Kwh.

I did this analysis because my wife and I are planning on rebuilding our home in 2008 after our youngest daughter graduates from college. We will have grid-tie-in solar fully incorporated into the design.

Cordially,
Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (137) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement