Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: KingMob Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2787  
Subject: The CBG Appreciation Grab Bag Date: 9/12/2002 2:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
For everyone here, I just have to give a big shout out and give a hearty THANKS for their recommendations, reviews and general thoughts about the current new age of games and gaming.

This is the only Fool message board that I have felt compelled to go back to Day One and read threads and posts from -- and days later, go back and reread them!!! Reading about game systems, game themes, the discussions of current games and the anticipation of new games is almost as fun as playing the games themselves.

As a latecomer to this fascinating world, there is no way I'll be able to play (nor afford) all these wonderful games, so I'll have to live vicariously through all of you and some of the other board/card game websites to at least have a taste of what some of these games have to offer.

As well, I've always wondered what I'd be able to contribute to this board (that has given so much), as a lot of what I'd like to say has already been said. With that in mind, I found some gaming links not seen on this board yet that I'd like to share.

For starters, for those who own Carcassonne, but don't own and long for the free (out of print) Rivers expansion, I found an online Canadian Gaming Store that not only has it in stock, but the price ($0.00) can't be beat. But let's not be greedy, and be sure to buy something to complement your free purchase (and remember the US/CAN exchange rate when browsing for prices).

http://www.jogocanada.com/en/showitem.asp?itemID=1766

The second link is an recently created webpage (as of Sept. 1) devoted to introducing new gamers to German Game gaming. Everything on those 4 pages may be old hat to everyone here, but it is a great capsule of gaming in general, how games and gaming systems have evolved over the years, and how you can introduce those aspects to your non-gaming friends. There is also a small, but very well written section of game reviews on this site. I'm sure that this section is bound to grow as time goes by.

The author, Jy Avery, not only has written a boatload of reviews on Funagain.com, but has logged quite a few session plays on boardgamegeek.com. As well, I discovered that his gaming group, Terminal City Gamers, is only a 20-40 minute drive from where I live, so maybe I'll drop in on them to see what the fuss on some of these games are. But then again, their group meets on Monday nights, so the soonest I'll be able to drop in on them is sometime in January/February of next year (after the NFL season, that is).

http://www.geocities.com/yahugaming/German.html

And for my third and final link (for now), I have to say that I'm enjoying the recent deserted island thread. A somewhat older link that can be found on The Game Report website, contains interviews with game creators on what 10 games they'd like to have with them if they were trapped on a deserted island. Interesting how they don't just list their games, but are willing to let us into their thinking process as they agonizingly pick and choose their favorite games.

http://www.gamereport.com/dig.shtml

Well, there you go. Hopefully everyone here can get as much enjoyment out of these gaming links as I have.

And keep posting!!! I'm hooked!

Keith...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement