Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
For those of us who are more progressive Christians, there is a website for us.

http://www.thechristianleft.org

Charlie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
For those of us who are more progressive Christians, there is a website for us.

Clearly you're not a real Christian.

;-)
No. of Recommendations: 1
Clearly you're not a real Christian.
Neither was Christ. Everything he preached would have put him at odds with the Right especially the fundies.
Neither was Christ. Everything he preached would have put him at odds with the Right especially the fundies.

Indeed it does. <insert famous Ghandi quote here>
<insert famous Ghandi quote here>

Food...please...A spoonful of rice. Some curried tofu. A chickpea perhaps. I'M STARVING!!!!
Food...please...A spoonful of rice. Some curried tofu. A chickpea perhaps. I'M STARVING!!!!

Great ... not only are you getting the smallest apartment, but you're also coming back as a slug
Charlie,

It is true that Christians can take different views on political issues and can favor different solutions to social issues, while still being true to the scriptures as the norm of Christian faith. When preparing petitions for prayer in a church service, for example, the stated policy of the Catholic Church is to phrase them in a way that admits the whole realm of legitimate potential solutions, such that all believers will be able to agree with and assent to them. Thus, one might pray "for world leaders, that they will have the wisdom to pursue the course of action that will bring a just and lasting peace for the peoples of Israel and Palestine" rather than praying that they will pursue one specific course of action or another.

Having said that, there is one critical question. Does this so-called "Christian Left" embrace biblical teaching with regard to sexual morality?

Because any group that does not adhere to biblical teaching on sexual morality is not authentically Christian, regardless of whether the word "Christian" appears in its name or not.

Norm.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Because any group that does not adhere to biblical teaching on sexual morality is not authentically Christian

The slightest impure thought is a lack of adherence, and therefore the entire human race fails to meet this standard.

Was that before or after his comment about "Christians being so unlike their Christ"? As we just saw from Norm with his not-real-Christians post, and judging others (specifically those condoning or committing "sexual immorality").

Don't recall Jesus ever doing that. He was much more inclusive and forgiving.
Was that before or after his comment about "Christians being so unlike their Christ"? As we just saw from Norm with his not-real-Christians post, and judging others (specifically those condoning or committing "sexual immorality").

Don't recall Jesus ever doing that. He was much more inclusive and forgiving.

Two ways to lead. Inclusive or the sword.

From the inception, the christian church has used the later.

Happy Thanksgiving all. Get stuffed and enjoy your families.
Does this so-called "Christian Left" embrace biblical teaching with regard to sexual morality?

Because any group that does not adhere to biblical teaching on sexual morality is not authentically Christian, regardless of whether the word "Christian" appears in its name or not.

========================================================================

It does, but I have no doubt you would disagree with it Norm. Sorry...you and your pope don't get to determine who is or who isn't "authentically" Christian.

Charlie
No. of Recommendations: 6
Norm: "Having said that, there is one critical question. Does this so-called "Christian Left" embrace biblical teaching with regard to sexual morality?"

It embraces it just as much as it embraces biblical teaching regarding eating shellfish.

Norm: "Because any group that does not adhere to biblical teaching on sexual morality is not authentically Christian, regardless of whether the word "Christian" appears in its name or not."

Does that only apply to biblical teaching on sexual morality, or to biblical teaching in general? If it is biblical teaching in general than I have some bad news for you regarding your Christianity.
"Biblical teaching" is a rather slippery phrase. The different books often teach different ideas. The NT superceeds the OT, except for the parts where it doesn't.

Seems to me that the NT does superceed the OT for Christians. Christians are not subject to the OT law. Shellfish are good, especially when wrapped in bacon. This does also imply that the Ten Commandments are not for Christians, which would come as a surprise to many.

(Why do they want the 10 all over? I never get that. Would make way more sense to have the Jesus version of the golden rule.)

Sexual morality is not well spelled out in the NT. the story of the woman caught in adultery is likely very late, but it sounds like the Jesus that most of us can identify with. He didn't condemn her. We should do the same.
Christians are not subject to the OT law. Shellfish are good, especially when wrapped in bacon.

The more I think about it the more I wonder how much of this came into play. Getting to worship the god-they-knew without having to obey the plethora of rules that went with it/him.

Gotta wonder...
Advertisement