Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lorenzo2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123537  
Subject: Re: How to report an 401K to Trad. IRA rollover Date: 2/22/2003 10:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The code "G" in box 7 denotes that you made a direct rollover from your 401k to an IRA. That's allowed without penalty, and that's why you don't need a 5329. (That's the form on which you calculate a penalty, if one applies.) As to how you report this, if you look closely at the back it probably says to put the gross distribution amount (from box 1) on line 16a of your Form 1040. Since nothing is taxable, you'll put zero on line 16b. And you write "rollover" somewhere in the vicinity of line 16. (This is all spelled out in the detailed instructions for Lines 16a and 16b in the 1040 instruction booklet.) Do not attach the 1099-R to the return, but keep it for your records.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.