Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
The combination of my investing gains and the amount of the conversion itself pushed me over the limit for IRA contributions, which is why I didn't make any contributions for last year.

There is no income limit for IRA contributions. There's an income limit for Roth IRA contributions. There's an income-based phaseout range for deductibility of traditional IRA contributions if you or your spouse are covered by a retirement plan at work. But anyone under 70 1/2 with taxable compensation (or with a spouse with taxable compensation) can make an IRA contribution of some sort, even if it's a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution.

If I read your narrative correctly you currently have nothing in any traditional IRA account. Thus, as vkg pointed out, you could make a 2011 nondeductible traditional IRA contribution and immediately convert it to Roth with zero tax consequence.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.