No. of Recommendations: 3
The concept of Average CAGR assumes that a stock at some negative RMS will eventually rise back up to the 0 RMS line and higher. The question is how long until this reversion takes place.
How long should we be willing to wait?
Some people use 3 years, some use 5 years.
For low Average CAGR stocks, one would naturally want the reversion to happen relatively soon for a worthwhile CAGR on the investment.
For high CAGR stocks, the investment could easily grow at a satisfactory CAGR even if it takes a long time to reach 0 RMS again - see MO, SBUS, TJX, ROST, etc.
On the other hand, how do we distinguish between high Average CAGR stocks that will continue at a satisfactory growth rate, and busted growth stocks that will never revert?
How long am I willing to wait for the thesis to prove out?
In my bias for DGI stocks, I tried using 1 / Yield as a proxy for duration, but this has kept me out of some really good growers that never quite got to a low enough RMS. It also gave buy signals for value traps like PBI, which clearly will never get back to its long-term 0 RMS line, and busted growers like TEVA, where the dividend was soon cut, then eliminated.

Clearly, 1 / Yield can be a false signal if management holds on too long to a dividend that can't be supported by the underlying business. The market knows this before the BMW Method does.

There are some companies that 'could' pay a healthy dividend, but choose not to - see AAPL before it started a dividend, or BRK now. 1 / Yield doesn't work for these either.

I think Enterprise Value / Free Cash Flow would be a better metric here. It can catch highly profitable slow-growth companies, and fast growers with healthy balance sheets, and helps to avoid value traps.

EV drops with stock price, but responds slowly for highly indebted companies, so that a value trap like TEVA would need to drop much more in price before getting a buy signal. TEVA at $30 was not a good buy; TEVA at $12 was a good buy.

My next challenge - how to better determine a forward-looking FCF value for the EV / FCF ratio.
More on this later.
Print the post  

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement