Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445758  
Subject: THE core issue Date: 10/5/2012 5:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Are people who work for a living commodities or are they human beings?

I am a liberal in large part because I think they are human beings. I think that butchers are people who are trying to support their families and that there was good reason to pay them a living wage prior to the takeover of the meat industry which put them on assembly lines earning minimum wage, no benefits and little or no recourse when their fingers where chopped off in the line of duty.

I think that mechanics are human beings who are trying to support their families and that there is good reason to pay them a living wage rather than minimum wage at Jiffy Lube.

I think that farmers are human beings who deserve a living wage rather than being forced to produce 200 bushels of corn per acre in order to break even while ConAgra runs humane farmers out of business and makes billlions of dollars while farmers struggle to survive.

And so on.

These are issues that make me a liberal.

1. education

2. treatment of workers as people and not commodities.

I don't know how to distill what I believe into winning sound bites.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410463 of 445758
Subject: Re: THE core issue Date: 10/5/2012 6:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
treatment of workers as people and not commodities.

People need to decide what they value more, cheap Chinese merchandise at Walmart or a prosperous middle class. We have sold out the American dream to save ourselves a few bucks at the big box stores.

One example I have often pointed out is self-checkout lines. I refuse to use these even when it would be faster. I prefer to live in community and shop in a store that actually hires people to ring up and bag my purchase.

When I was a kid nobody pumped their own gas. Was it so terrible to pay a teenager minimum wage to pump gas and squeegee off your windshield?

What about the concept of a receptionist in an office? When I was younger the front end of every office had one. Are we really better off with everyone using voice mail?

These choices reflect our values. People need to start pushing back.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410466 of 445758
Subject: Re: THE core issue Date: 10/5/2012 6:39 PM
Recommendations: 0
Are people who work for a living commodities or are they human beings?

Both. They are commmodities and human beings. That's the problem.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement