Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195639  
Subject: The Cross Date: 12/14/2001 9:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Any comments on the significance of the Cross? Why it's so common as a symbol in modern Christianity? Thoughts on its "meaning?"
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ericjh Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70291 of 195639
Subject: Re: The Cross Date: 12/14/2001 12:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I heard it said that to first century Christians, wearing the corss would be like us wearing an electric chair.
Ej

Author: FairfaxScott Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70301 of 195639
Subject: Re: The Cross Date: 12/14/2001 1:48 PM
Only if Christ had been killed in an electric chair. : )

Author: hermonster Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70416 of 195639
Subject: Re: The Cross Date: 12/15/2001 5:23 AM
I believe that the significance of the cross to most Christians is the power over death and promise of the resurrection demonstrated by Jesus Christ and awaiting all who follow Him.

1 Corinthians 1:14-24 (NAB)

"Now the natural person does not accept what pertains to the Spirit of God, for to him it is foolishness, and he cannot understand it, because it is judged spiritually. The spiritual person, however, can judge everything but is not subject to judgment by anyone. For "who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to counsel him?" But we have the mind of Christ. For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with the wisdom of human eloquence, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its meaning. The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the learning of the learned I will set aside." Where is the wise one? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made the wisdom of the world foolish? For since in the wisdom of God the world did not come to know God through wisdom, it was the will of God through the foolishness of the proclamation to save those who have faith. For Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those who are called, Jews and Greeks alike, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."

The irony is not lost on Christians that the cross, a Roman execution device, eventually became the central symbol of the faith that continues to live and grow long after the demise of the Roman Empire.

Jon

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement