UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 455521  
Subject: Re: Shrimp on the Barbee Date: 6/23/2014 2:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 31
The current number is closer to 80,000.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26830492
Another 70 to 80 thousand voluntarily evacuated, even though it wasn't necessary.

I'm just rerporting what the Japanese government said. And "although it wasn't necessary" is a very nice conclusion, a year after the fact. I suppose that during the crisis, when no one knew for sure what was happening, that "not evacuating" was a reasonable strategy, eh? I feel confident you would have left your children sitting there at the border line because you were so sure, especially in the face of confusion even of the nuclear plant operators themselves.

The power of the media and the anti-nuclear zealots to frighten people about radiation should always be understood.

I have to laugh when you talk about "zealots", given that you have spent years telling everyone that nuclear power is completely safe, and that nothing can go wrong. othing can go wrong. thing can go wrong. hing can go wrong. ing can go wrong...

Somehow the Japanese government is the one which gave the warnings. Why am I not surprised that you would blame "the media" and "the anti-nuke zealots."? (For the record, the after-the-fact analysis shows that the accident happened to a large degree because of the regulatory capture of the Japanese nuclear regulators by the nuclear industry (why does that sound familiar?) which told people over and over "nothing can go wrong. othing can go wrong. thing can go wrong...)

The reason more thyroid cancers have been detected is because the Japanese government is conducting a massive thyroid cancer screening program.

No, that's one theory. Another theory is that there are actually more thyroid cancers.

Thyroid cancer is also highly treatable, with very high survivability rates for stage 1 and stage 2 types. See wikilink above.

I bet your idea is very reassuring to people who actually have it. Not that it matters, but throid cancers are still showing up in elevated levels for children around Chernobyl even decades later.

It is unfortunate that these METAR discussions about energy quite often devolve into arguments about nuclear power. This thread started out as a discussion about electric cars and the power generation needs a large electric vehicle fleet will require.

Yes it did. But then someone insisted on telling people that people who criticize nuclear power are "fools". I'm sure you would have preferred that criticism to go unanswered, but that's not how it works.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement