Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The current Section 121 tax exclusion on the gain of the sale of a personal residence is $250,000 for singles and $500,000 for married filing jointly.

and as soon as everyone throws the receipts away the law will change allowing no exclusion!!!

Also, we bought our house in 1983 for 48,000 during that time I had no idea the value had increased to roughly 300,000+. (what other similar houses in the area are selling for. Time and inflation can get away from you! It doesn't hurt to keep the receipts for capital improvements to your home.

On the same's our house...but if I should die before the house is sold, does that mean my husband would only get the '$250,000 exclusion, since then he would be single? (Note: This is assuming he doesn't remarry, of course).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.