UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GrumpyOldGuy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1954919  
Subject: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/17/2012 7:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The best thing Republicans could do is let the Dems have everything they want. Let them truly own the Liberal agenda and in ten or fifteen years there wouldn't be one Democrat elected anywhere in the US.
Bloat the deficit? Done
Cut defense? Done
Leave SS and Medicare and Medicaid alone? Done

Give them the exact number of votes needed to fully prove just how wrong they are and when the country implodes the grownups can pick up the peices.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837888 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/17/2012 7:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"
Give them the exact number of votes needed to fully prove just how wrong they are and when the country implodes the grownups can pick up the peices.
"

The problem is, this country doesn't have 15-20 years left. It is more like 5-7 years before we implode.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837910 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/17/2012 8:30 PM
The problem is, this country doesn't have 15-20 years left. It is more like 5-7 years before we implode.

The country already imploded in 2007--just after conservatives lost total control of the US govt. They had control of Congress from 1995-2006, so that is 12 years of their policies proven to be an absolute failure. Clinton was able to prevent failure--GWB enabled it.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837911 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/17/2012 8:32 PM
"The country already imploded in 2007

You mean 2008 and not even close to what can be expected before the end of this decade.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837914 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/17/2012 8:36 PM
You mean 2008

No, I was calling it WAY before then. So was GS. Deal with it.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837938 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/17/2012 10:15 PM
The best thing Republicans could do is let the Dems have everything they want. Let them truly own the Liberal agenda and in ten or fifteen years there wouldn't be one Democrat elected anywhere in the US.
Bloat the deficit? Done
Cut defense? Done
Leave SS and Medicare and Medicaid alone? Done

I've been saying this since the election. Let Obama do what he wants. The voters have little to no empirical evidence that his policies are crapola with wings. So, let him run wild.

Hide you money, because he'll be coming for it when his schemes backfire. But the voters wanted all this, so let them bend over and take it. Right up to the elbow.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837939 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/17/2012 10:37 PM
Recommendations: 41

Of course total control of power by a single party is almost certainly going to be a bad thing. This is true if for no other reason, because it leads to almost certain corruption and the inefficiency that results from that. Witness Arizona during the past several years.

But then the funny part about this post is what you think the Liberal agenda consists of:

Bloat the deficit? Done Yeah. "Done" alright. That was done by Bush-Cheney in case you've been asleep for the past 15 years.

Cut defense? Done You may have this one right. I and many liberals probably would like to see some significant cuts in defense spending. The problem right now is that defense budget cuts will result almost directly in job loss and unemployment. We need to get the economy going stronger so that we can cut defense deeply. I would favor cuts in the 20% to 25% range over a period of years.

Leave SS and Medicare and Medicaid alone? Done I don't hear anyone saying this. Almost everyone wants to see SS, Medicare and Medicaid made more sustainable. SS can be fixed with very minor tweaks. Medicare is a bigger problem. As far as I can tell, most liberals want to fix these programs to guarantee the longevity of the program. The fixes they prefer just aren't the same as the ones the right favor. The right seems to be too lazy or too simple minded to think of a solution to fix them. Their preference is to gut them and let Granny die at the curb. I'm confident we can do better than that.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837941 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/17/2012 10:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
Of course total control of power by a single party is almost certainly going to be a bad thing. This is true if for no other reason, because it leads to almost certain corruption and the inefficiency that results from that. Witness Arizona during the past several years.

Except in this case, Obama is perfect. There's no reason for an opposition party. Let him do whatever he wants.

Yeah. "Done" alright. That was done by Bush-Cheney in case you've been asleep for the past 15 years.

And yet, when given total control of Congress, he made it worse. But who cares? Obama is awesome. Let's go with Krugman's ideas, BTW.

You may have this one right. I and many liberals probably would like to see some significant cuts in defense spending. The problem right now is that defense budget cuts will result almost directly in job loss and unemployment. We need to get the economy going stronger so that we can cut defense deeply. I would favor cuts in the 20% to 25% range over a period of years.

Nah. Serves those warmongering engineers right. Lay them all off and let them find other work. Slash defense; who needs it?

I don't hear anyone saying this. Almost everyone wants to see SS, Medicare and Medicaid made more sustainable. SS can be fixed with very minor tweaks. Medicare is a bigger problem. As far as I can tell, most liberals want to fix these programs to guarantee the longevity of the program. The fixes they prefer just aren't the same as the ones the right favor. The right seems to be too lazy or too simple minded to think of a solution to fix them. Their preference is to gut them and let Granny die at the curb. I'm confident we can do better than that.

Actually, very few liberals want to admit there's a problem. As to your characterization of the right being "lazy" and "simple minded", LOL @ you.

Let Obama do as he will. You wanted liberalism, you should have your jaws pried open so you can enjoy its fruits. All you can stand.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1837965 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/18/2012 12:35 AM
Recommendations: 37
I've been saying this since the election. Let Obama do what he wants. The voters have little to no empirical evidence that his policies are crapola with wings.

As opposed to Republican policies for which we have a mountain of evidence proving they're crap.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1838091 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/18/2012 2:41 PM
Recommendations: 53
And yet, when given total control of Congress, he made it worse

No, "he" didn't make it worse. Bush's economic collapse made it worse. Tax revenues cratered at exactly the moment when social safety net spending went up (unemployment insurance, for instance.) Iraq made it worse. Afghanistan made it worse. Medicare Part "D" made it worse. The GM bailout made it worse. The Chrysler bailout made it worse. The Wall Street bailout made it worse. ALL of those happened under Bush.

What happened under Obama? A modest stimulus program, and "Cash For Clunkers." Wow, deficit busters to the max!

You may have this one right. I and many liberals probably would like to see some significant cuts in defense spending. The problem right now is that defense budget cuts will result almost directly in job loss and unemployment.

First, close half the overseas bases and bring those soldiers home. That way American dollars stop ending up in the bank accounts of German, Saudi Arabian, and Korean governments and businesses. You have a huge savings right there. Then downsize the number of soldiers by 20%, minimum, and acknowledge that we're not going to be staffed up to fight two international wars with World War II tactics at the same time every minute of every day. Staffing for one would be enough, and if it somehow comes to two, then scale up at the appropriate time. How many businesses keep their staffing at 250% of what is nominally required?

Actually, very few liberals want to admit there's a problem

Actually most liberals do acknowledge there's a problem. The problem is with the right, who sign simpleminded pledges not to consider anything other than tax cuts, ever ever, and who would be happy to dismantle Social Security and Medicare if given half a chance. That is a serious problem. A reasonable solution would be to look at ALL the options, but the lunatic right won't even consider half of them.

As to your characterization of the right being "lazy" and "simple minded", ...

...they're spot on.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1838095 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/18/2012 2:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
"Bush's economic collapse made it worse. Tax revenues cratered at exactly the moment when social safety net spending went up (unemployment insurance, for instance.) Iraq made it worse. Afghanistan made it worse. Medicare Part "D" made it worse. The GM bailout made it worse. The Chrysler bailout made it worse. The Wall Street bailout made it worse. ALL of those happened under Bush.
"

Yep, I agree that all these events made it worse. And Obama's policies have multiplied by a factor 10 the error Bush made. Bailing out auto companies, continuing the TARP bailout, Obamacare, 800 billion dollar stimulus, cash for clunkers, NOT passing a budget in 4 years, creating disincentives in the market keeping growth at dismal levels, playing crony capitalist-in-chief with green energy companies and played a critical role in creating the fiscal cliff crisis we are in today(a sign of failed leadership).

So, I agree that Bush made it worse. You, then must agree that Obama compounded the problem with his policies.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1838193 of 1954919
Subject: Re: The Dems want it, let them have it. Date: 11/18/2012 5:40 PM
Recommendations: 3
somebody says

I think you're getting that idea from the same voice in your head that told you Romney was about to win in a landslide.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement