No. of Recommendations: 0
The Department of Labor is the correct agency. They cover 401ks.
This is probably going to be a very long process. I would stay in constant contact, (at least every 2 weeks) with the 401k provider to check up on the progress of the plan liquidation. The main problem here is the 401k administrator can only liquidate the assets by oreder of the Plan Trustee. If its possible, find out who the Trustee of the plan is (was). If its a corporation such as a bank, contact that entity and make them aware of whats going on. If its an individual, such as the business owner, or officers of the business, you need to try to track them down. If this is not possible, then the Department of Labor will work the 401k administrator in liquidating the assets. Remeber though, the DOL is a government agency, so this will take awhile.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.