UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59085  
Subject: The Door to Hell Date: 4/3/2013 1:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Over 40 years ago while drilling a gas well in Turkmenistan, the drill rig collapsed into a sink hole and a cloud of poisonous gas erupted from the hole.

It's been burning ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derweze

panoramic view

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Darvasa_g...

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48740 of 59085
Subject: Re: The Door to Hell Date: 4/3/2013 5:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"Geologists had hoped the fire would use all the fuel in a matter of days, but the gas is still burning today. Locals have dubbed the cavern "The Door to Hell".[4]

Lovely.

Art

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48754 of 59085
Subject: Re: The Door to Hell Date: 4/3/2013 3:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
Wow. Someone should have figured out how to drop a steam generator into the hole and they could have been producing energy for free for the past 40 years.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48792 of 59085
Subject: Re: The Door to Hell Date: 4/5/2013 1:30 PM
You wold think filling the hole with dirt to deprive it of oxygen would not be that hard. . . . .

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48794 of 59085
Subject: Re: The Door to Hell Date: 4/5/2013 5:31 PM
Volucris writes,

You wold think filling the hole with dirt to deprive it of oxygen would not be that hard. . . . .

Then you'd have an uncombusted cloud of methane wafting into the atmosphere -- a big explosion hazard. That's why gas gets flared in the oil field.

Also, I understand that free methane is worse for the ozone layer than the products of combustion.

intercst

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement