Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1putt100 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: The dreaded question "Should I payoff the h Date: 1/7/2008 11:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
OK, I know this question has been beaten to death, but I'm tired of watching he Buckeyes get smoked by yet another SEC team, and although unrelated, I am someone who obsesses about FIRE. A little background...I am fortunate to have a reasonably good paying job, wife stays home (we are both a couple of years shy of 40), 2 small children, we have no debt other than our house, 401K + Roth is approximately 3.5X salary, taxable account has approx $120K, owe $190K on house, currently max out 401K @ IRS limit, contribute approx 4K/year to kids 529 plan (and have done so since they were born). Recently received Tom Ramsey's book over Christmas and he asserts that any debt is bad debt. I have been considering for some time to pay down the house, and have been contributing ~1k additional pmt each month. I have considered selling out my taxable account and paying down the house, and then paying off the house in the next 2-3 years. Not sure this is smart since I killed myself to build up a reasonable nest egg, but I also hate debt. My current home interest rate is ~5%, I also have a Home Equity Line of Credit, that I consider my emergency fund (is dumb as well??)
Any advice and/or criticisms are welcome. My future is dependent upon it. ;-)

1putt100
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement