UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Answer Team Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77554  
Subject: Re: IRA from Dean Witter Date: 9/30/1999 3:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The easiest part of your question is the transfer. To transfer an IRA to another custodian, contact the receiving custodian. Usually there are a few forms to fill out and they take care of it for you.

Presumably if you transfer the back loaded mutual funds as shares, you will wind up paying the backload to Dean Witter--but I would think when the shares are sold, not when they are transferred. Ask Dean Witter.

The tax question arises only in the case of the Roth conversion. When or if you do the conversion, you will pay income taxes on the cash value of account. The conversion is more attractive if you can do it at low tax rates. If the account is large, conversion may be prohibitive because the conversion alone can put you into upper brackets. But others on this board may have other thoughts.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Taking Candy From Strangers
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.