Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFVW Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5639  
Subject: Re: My son, the picky eater (long) Date: 10/12/2000 1:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The fact that he will at least eat a lettuce salad is, I think, fantastic!

It wasn't until I was pretty much out of college that salads started to look good to me. My Mom always served a little salad of iceberg lettuce and chipped carrot, but it never tasted like anything unless I drowned it in dressing.

It's a good idea to try and get him involved with preparing his meals, but also keep in mind this is a 10-yr old boy with a 10 yr old's interests (baseball, horsing around). I know I never had any patience for preparing food with Mom. I wouldn't expect him to.

And oh yeah, we 2 kids were exempted from the "taste it" rule when it came to liver.

A lot of times it's an ordeal to just get kids to eat something, and that's not even getting into whether it's the kind of food you want him to have. I think it's great you're not forcing him to go veggie. If he wants to when he's older, he will. I remember it wasnt' until I was 23 that I'd eat broccoli. And the dish that made me a believer is one of those made with all raw broccoli, raisins, nuts, red onion and bound with some mayo. I couldn't stop eating the stuff. Yum.

My point is, my palatte didn't even really develop until I was well into my 20's. I love to cook now, and I'll even cook food for other people that I wouldn't eat myself (seafood, for example). The kid probably needs time to make his decision. As long as you explain why Mom and Dad eat they way they do, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't totally reject the idea as he ages.

Of course, he's 10. 10-year-olds do a LOT of rejecting.

Susan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement