UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61401  
Subject: The facts of life Date: 5/2/2013 1:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The Sarah Palin thread got me thinking.

I sat my teens down a few years ago and explained the facts of life to them. This is how I put it:

I said "You will need to make a living. Dad and I aren't rich enough to support you for your whole life. There are four basic ways to do this. One is to use your back - your physical strength. Construction work, factory work, drive a truck - like that. The second is to use your brains. Get a degree in something you like. The third is if you have some natural talent, such as music or acting or whatnot that you can do better than most and have a passion for. The fourth is sales ability - being able to connect with people and get them to vote for you or buy whatever it is you're selling.

That's about it. Decide which of these four is your strength, and go with it."

Sarah P is a natural salesman, as are all politicians. She just isn't intellectually qualified to be put in charge of much more than an ice cream stand. Her ardent defenders are not able to come up with proof of anything she's accomplished to dispute this and are even willing to bend history in her defense, which baffles me.

By the way, my kids decided on #2. They're going the college route. Which, to me, is easier than the other three....not easy, mind you, but in the long run easier than a sore back or wooing the fickle public.

SG

"That's the fact, Jack!"
_Stripes_
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Beyond Buffett Event
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement