UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WatchingTheHerd Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5902  
Subject: The Fight Over Guitar Tab on the Internet Date: 5/15/2007 11:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Here's a link to a slashdot reference to an ongoing battle between guitar tablature sites and Hal Leonard Publishing, the biggest single "songbook publisher".

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/05/15/2149224.shtml

In a nutshell, Hal Leonard is fighting attempts by firms to offer free tablature for guitar on the Internet under the premise the practice would impair the rightful collection of royalties from amateur players who can't figure out "Bad Moon Rising" is D-D-D-A-A-G-G-D-D without a little help.

Sheeeeeeeees.

I really do think artists are entitled to direct profits from the recordings of their work and the live performance of their work. I think artists are entitled to royalties from over-priced concert T-shirts and programs sold at their concerts. I think artists are entitled to prevent cover bands from touring under misleading names like "The New Doors" or "Pink Floyd 2007" that dilute the "brand" of the original band. I even think artists are entitled to compensation from other commercial businesses who use their work to attract customers for their own profit (bars, football stadiums, etc.)

However, to claim a share of the work someone else undertook to understand how you produced your work to teach someone else how to play your song for their own private enjoyment is really pathetic. This argument isn't too far removed from claiming I owe the surviving members of Led Zeppelin a tenth of a penny every time the riff to How Many More Times goes through my head. I'm enjoying their work, aren't I? Aren't they entitled to compensation for every mental flicker their music creates in my head? Ahh, just thought of it again, there's another tenth...

You can bet that once they invent a drug that can erase selective memories, the RIAA and Hollywood will demand all entertainment be packaged with a dose so you'll never remember a thing about any "art" they sell unless you pay for it. Every #*%*!)% time.

WTH
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement