Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 3blackdogs Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 81888  
Subject: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 12:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 37
My Dear QHeads:

I am sending my check to bookgrrl tomorrow on behalf of you generous souls for the Santa Project. Though many of you requested anonymity, here's a few fast facts that you may enjoy:

**22 separate pledges from 15 different states
**Most were board regulars, but there were a couple of TMF strangers or else very deep lurkers that chipped in!
**Several spouses got into the act and helped the cause
**One poster's mom helped with their family donation
**Another poster's 84 yr old dad, when he found out what the poster was up to, insisted on matching the pledge and added his own check
**One board regular was chatting with an old pal and happened to mention what we were doing - this friend wrote a check on the spot and sent it on to me

And if this doesn't give you hope for the future, I don't know what will:

The 16 year old niece and 14 year old nephew of one of our board regulars insisted on donating the Christmas gift money they had saved up to spend on each other when they heard about the Santa Project. (These hard-working kids already volunteer their time at a center for severely developmentally disabled kids, in addition to working jobs on weekends.) Our intrepid QHead immediately told them he'd match their contribution, reinforcing their altruism, in addition to making his own donation.(And the best part is that they sent their school picture along with the check - they are ensconced forever on my refrigerator photo farm!)

Almost all of the checks have arrived - thank you - and every one of you sent a note echoing the sentiment of wishing to do more.

But you have done more today than you probably realize.

The pledges added up to $1285.

And as I tried to say to each of you as I acknowledged your individual pledges and checks, take time to feel good about what you have done - and what I'm sure you do all the time: you've eased the burden of those folks that have less good fortune. And as my friend Chez said to me in an email:

take comfort in the fact that our efforts in this project are going to result in hundreds of hungry folks & kids having warm, full tummys real soon ~ but more importantly...even if it's just for one day...it will give them HOPE.

I'm stealing Miz Wiley's closing, because I can't think of a more appropriate one:

Grace and Peace to You All!

ßÐ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Bkeepr100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14497 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 1:18 AM
Recommendations: 4

BD,

"But you have done more today than you probably realize.

The pledges added up to $1285."

Wow! Good job everybody!

"take comfort in the fact that our efforts in this project are going to result in hundreds of hungry folks & kids having warm, full tummys real soon ~ but more importantly...even if it's just for one day...it will give them HOPE."

May the hand of God bee with those who recive this blessing.
May HE touch lives, as only HE can.

As another member said to me "It's amazing what out small community can pull together and do...for others. "

I agree.....

B-man

Author: hheuer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14498 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 1:28 AM
Recommendations: 6

Hi y'all,

I'm just a lurker over here, having been lured in by a few of blackmare's posts (the arrival of Spiller).

But I just wanted to thank you. I'm proud that I'm part of Bookgrrl's project for the second year in a row, and I'm awed at the generosity of this board. I saw the link over on Foolish Elves, and was moved to tears.

Thank you for your warm hearts, for the gift of hope -- the hope you've all the hungry folks who you've helped feed, and the hope you gave me, the belief in the goodness of people's hearts.

Hilary

Author: ez3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14501 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 2:08 AM
Recommendations: 1
Hey Lydia,

I never thought anyone would let us down on this project, but $1285, well that's impressive!

Sure beats counting the flowers on the ceiling of the train station terminal! Yes, sadly but true, I spent 16 hrs. in that place in the late '70's waiting to make connections to Penn Station in NY.

Glad it was a success $$$$ wise! Now, what happened to the folks we were trying to help? Need to know that end of the story!

Kevin - ez3

Author: TMFDavidG Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14502 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 2:18 AM
Recommendations: 3
What a great community board, and group effort. You have spread warmth, making for a proud day for Fools everywhere, and reminding us that money is just opportunity -- it's what you do with it that counts.

Bravo!

David Gardner

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14503 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 2:57 AM
Recommendations: 8
And for those who don't believe in Santa, they just don't get it and never will.

I believe in Santa, but he's not a person as most people "think" he is, he is...well, he just is.

I'm in tears right now. I'm not sure I can put to words what I want to say, but I always have hope in our future and knowing what you wonderful people have just done for others that you have never even met just makes me want to go out and hug someone. What y'all did means so much to me.

We've been there, needing help, and when we've least expected it, it just showed up. We didn't ask for help, it just showed up.

Unless y'all have been in that situation you just don't know what it means to have some assistance show up when you really needed it the most and expected it the least.

Several years ago we were hurting, bad, we didn't think we could even afford a decent Thanksgiving dinner for our children, let alone be able to even have a Christmas and out of the blue a Teacher from our son's school gave us our meals for both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner and over $200 for Christmas presents for the kids. We never told anyone we needed help and I never asked her how she knew, but she knew and she provided for us that year.

I have never been able to say no to anyone needing help. Everytime I've done something to help someone it has come back to me one hundred fold, just as was promised. I can not and will not say no to helping others as I've been helped by so many myself.

I was working in retail in 1994 and a young lady came into our store asking if she could solicit the employees for help with the Angel Tree program. This was in N.H. and in an area that didn't pay well, especially during the Winter. This was right about this same time of the year and the program was hurting bad that year not getting enough help.

There was a customer at the register that I was assisting and she stopped what she was doing and asked the young lady just how much they needed to meet thier goal. The young lady said they needed another $300 just to meet thier minimum for the season. The lady I was waiting on promptly wrote out a check for $300. She asked to remain anonymous, finished her transaction with me and left without saying another word. We all just stood there with tears in our eyes knowing that there are still good people left in this world.

I was so hoping that Chez would be able to come up with the $600 he was hoping for, but to see that we were able to raise over $1,200 by ourselves just blows me away!! Y'all are some really wonderful people. May God bless each and every one of you and your family!!!

I feel blessed just knowing y'all.

ßillƒ

Author: magiquedarkayne Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14504 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 8:06 AM
Recommendations: 5
I'm awed at the generosity of this board. I saw the link over on Foolish Elves, and was moved to tears.

Thank you for your warm hearts, for the gift of hope -- the hope you've all the hungry folks who you've helped feed, and the hope you gave me, the belief in the goodness of people's hearts.

Hilary

An Mizz Hilary, welcome Home...'Sallright Chere jes what we does heahbouts. What else would you spect a bunch of tres intelligent and lovely ladies and a bunch ob shiftless ole layabout fellers dat do Q ta do wid dere Holiday...? ROFL. You always welcome heah. Dat is de secret of dis place, warmth and family and good food.

Magique (this place is my haven and these folk are my family) Darkayne

Author: ez3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14506 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 8:45 AM
Recommendations: 0
Sorry BD,

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18319705&recscode=6

Still trying to act as if I'm in Louisiana!

ez3

Author: WileyWildcat Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14515 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 1:55 PM
Recommendations: 2
My ending of each post is a prayer for each one of you, that you may have Grace and Peace until the next time we are together, so certainly close by using the words
It is a most appropriate way of ending this project,
with prayer.
Grace and peace to all of you,
Miz Wiley

Author: DonnaPawl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14526 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 4:29 PM
Recommendations: 6
Thank you 3BD for being our intrepid treasurer! <<<3 cheers for Lydia>>>

Chez, I hope you'll be able to give us the final chapter(s) of the story: How'd the negotiations with the grocers go. And, how does Bookgrrl's fundraiser help the kitchen ..... We'll be waiting for the end of the story.

Let me add my congratulations to all who participated in this lil' project. Tis quite a community we have here! And, as they say, you are known by the company you keep. This is some of the best company I've ever had the honor to be among.

May all the blessings and joys of the season be on each and every one of you.

(Now, what do we do for our next project????)

DP

Author: chezjohn Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14539 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 10:02 PM
Recommendations: 5
Chez, I hope you'll be able to give us the final chapter(s) of the story: How'd the negotiations with the grocers go. And, how does Bookgrrl's fundraiser help the kitchen ..... We'll be waiting for the end of the story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Donna ~ Merry Christmas.

There's not really a lot to report from my end, re: the Santa Project. As you know, I contacted about 13-14 institutional foodservice companies about donating food to this project...turkeys, hams, even canned goods and frozen veggies, etc. I sent each company an email (most of them I sent 2-3 emails - to the Big Cheese, the Vice-Big Cheese, etc) and gave them a brief overview of our project, our goals, and how they could help. I also gave them the name of the church, the church's address and phone number...and the name of the minister, asking them to contact the church directly...if they could help. Within 24 hours of sending all those emails, I received only 3 responses...extending me the professional courtesy of letting me know they could not participate in our project. I do not expect to hear from any of the companies that can/did help...as they would have contacted the church directly...so I'm hopeful that maybe a few of them did reach out to the church.

As far as the Chicago area supermarkets go, I was unable to get any of them to lock in a *sale* price...but one store did go so far as to suggest that in the days leading up to Christmas there would be competition amoung stores...to use turkeys & hams as a loss-leader to entice customers to shop their stores. He thought prices might go as low as $.49 / $.39 per pound - but those sales needed to be monitored by someone in the Chicago area...as I could not do it effectively from my office in Kansas. So...in the interest of keeping my LD phone bill from getting away from me...I compiled all the information about the supermarkets, manager's names, phone numbers, etc....and sent it to bookgrrl several days ago. I have not heard back from her, but I assume she...or someone she has delegated...is watching these sales, and will take the cash we are sending them & spend it wherever they can get the most bang for the buck! Hopefully, after the goods & money have been delivered to the church on Christmas Eve....bookgrrl will drop by and give us a final report.

Lastly, I took the initiative to type up a press release...and faxed it to several of the major media outlets in Chicago. Knowing the media loves this kind of human-interest story...I hope they picked up on it, and maybe some of Santa's lil' elves in the Chicago area read it...and joined our efforts...at the local level. I made sure the name of the church and address & phone number was on the press release....and I also took the liberty of giving them bookgrrl's contact info....as this is HER project. <g> So...having done all I can do...I've taken myself out of the loop, and do not anticipate making any more calls to Chicago...so...all we can do now is wait and see if we hear from bookgrrl.

"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Chez

Author: 3blackdogs Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14541 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/20/2002 10:49 PM
Recommendations: 8
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Donna ~ Merry Christmas.

I can add a few things. First of all, the board generosity doesn't end! I got a few frantic "I don't know how I missed this, is it too late, can I still send a check" emails in the last 18 hours since I posted, so now our board total is up to: $1435!!

I offered to cover the donations with my check so that the funds could get to Chicago asap. And that's exactly what I did.

Bookgrrl and I emailed fast and furiously over the last 18 hours as well. The TMF community beyond our board has risen to the cause and individual checks and donations have abounded. Thus, bookgrrl has been swamped with TMF donations of toys, cash and merchandise... and has more than a few things to do to get ready.

(Her latest challenges have been to 1. find a truck to rent/borrow to deliver all the turkeys and 2. find willing and able bodies in the Chicago area to help her with the actual work and ultimately deliveries on Christmas Eve.)

The woman is amazing.

In any case, we decided that I would have a conversation with Cynthia (the outreach director, don't know if that's her title, but it's what she does) at the Paul Hall Center of the UCC Church. I did that this afternoon. Now you may think I'm a tough, crusty business-world type (right??), but within 5 minutes of talking to this woman, I could barely get through a sentence, I was so choked up. Her goodness and gratitude were overwhelming. I just kept rambling on, something like "but you're the ones that are doing the hard work, we just banded together to share something with our fellow brothers and sisters that have less. No one should go hungry, but you're doing the real work..." and blathered on and on. I just kept thanking her for what she does. She, in tears, said "I just can't believe what you people are doing for us, this is so wonderful".

So dear QHeads, you're not buying turkeys. What Cynthia said is that these children never get really fresh food. So she is taking the funds that I'm overnighting and, in addition to the turkeys and goods that bookgrrl delivers, she is buying fresh fruits and produce for the holiday meals they provide for upwards of 3000 people.

I am so very humbled by that thought.

I hope you are all ok with this. Somehow, the mental vision I have of these kids with fresh crunchy apples, succulent oranges and healthy fresh veggies along side the roasted turkeys - well, to my mind it's a beautiful picture.

I am continually in awe of the Power of Love. As I told one donor in an email, it never fails to amaze me how I learn one lesson over and over:

It is, indeed, so much more rewarding to give.

ßÐ

Author: JustaBiker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14543 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/21/2002 12:14 AM
great job, ßÐ... and thanks for representing us...

Justabiker

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14544 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/21/2002 12:26 AM
But you have done more today than you probably realize.

The pledges added up to $1285.

I don't follow this board...h*ll, can't hardly keep up with the ones I do follow ;)

After following a link here to read what you folks have done in addition to other Fools - I wanted to add my thanks.

More importantly, bookgrrl could use the help of anyone living/visiting in the Chicago area on Christmas Eve. If you can offer your services, please find a bookgrrl post and reply via the e-mail option.

Odee

Author: Bkeepr100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14545 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/21/2002 12:32 AM

BD,

"I hope you are all ok with this. Somehow, the mental vision I have of these kids with fresh crunchy apples, succulent oranges and healthy fresh veggies along side the roasted turkeys - well, to my mind it's a beautiful picture."

Gang it sounds like a motion is before us:

All in favor siginfy by a Aye vote.

Anyone disagreeing with BD's great idea....Please use a ney vote.

Beentotoomanyunionmeetings,

B-man

AYE!!!!

Author: ColonelCAF Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14548 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/21/2002 10:53 AM
Dat statement yuh jus' made, "It is, indeed, so much more rewarding to give." 'minded me uv a cahrtoom dat Ah saw wanst. Dey wuz a boxing ring unnaneath a sign dat say, "Saint Lukes Charity Boxing Bazaar" an in dat ring dey wuz a lil boy dat show a lotta wear marks 'n some canvas burns. De good Fodder wuz kneelin' nex' tuh him 'n whisperin' in his wan undamaged ear ..... "Mah son, it is so much better to give ... than to receive!!"

Author: ez3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14551 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/21/2002 11:31 AM
AYE!!!!!!!!!!!

ez3

Author: chezjohn Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14554 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/21/2002 2:47 PM
(Her latest challenges have been to 1. find a truck to rent/borrow to deliver all the turkeys and 2. find willing and able bodies in the Chicago area to help her with the actual work and ultimately deliveries on Christmas Eve.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seems to me like the church and/or some of it's parishioners could certainly provide the manpower...and probably a couple of trucks, too.

Chez

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14575 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/22/2002 11:36 AM
Hey Lydia,

So dear QHeads, you're not buying turkeys. What Cynthia said is that these children never get really fresh food. So she is taking the funds that I'm overnighting and, in addition to the turkeys and goods that bookgrrl delivers, she is buying fresh fruits and produce for the holiday meals they provide for upwards of 3000 people.

I hope you are all ok with this. Somehow, the mental vision I have of these kids with fresh crunchy apples, succulent oranges and healthy fresh veggies along side the roasted turkeys - well, to my mind it's a beautiful picture.

I am continually in awe of the Power of Love. As I told one donor in an email, it never fails to amaze me how I learn one lesson over and over:

It is, indeed, so much more rewarding to give.

ßÐ

That is VERY OK with me. I didn't contribute to this cause with strings attached. All I wanted to do was help someone. The people in Chicago that are doing this know better than I what the people they're helping need. If they've got enough turkeys and can buy some extra food such as fresh fruit and veggies, then I sure hope they do.

What you have done by volunteering to collect the monies and send it to Chicago was very nice Lydia and for that I thank you.

I've been keeping my family updated on what's been happening and they too are proud of all of y'all and what you've done. I would have been happy to see the original goal of $300 met, but having come up with over $1400 is just amazing. I already knew y'all had big hearts, but this just proves that the power of love is truly a strong motivator and it's what makes this wonderful world of ours go 'round.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all of y'all and your loved ones!!!

ßillƒ

Author: 3blackdogs Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14576 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/22/2002 11:57 AM
Recommendations: 3
That is VERY OK with me. I didn't contribute to this cause with strings attached. All I wanted to do was help someone. The people in Chicago that are doing this know better than I what the people they're helping need. If they've got enough turkeys and can buy some extra food such as fresh fruit and veggies, then I sure hope they do.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bill. I had hoped that everyone would have that reaction - but I was concerned that the QHeads had turkeys in the gunsights.....and especially because dear Chez spent so much of his time (and $$) on long-distance calls, chasing down store managers, institutional food purveyors and so forth in search of the elusive bargain basement turkey!

But I think all his hard work is not for naught, bookgrrl has been working closely with Cynthia at the church to coordinate the buying and delivery of turkeys. I spoke again to Cynthia yesterday morning, and she is waiting till Monday to buy the perishables - they don't have that much storage space to begin with, and by holding off, the fruits and veggies will still be fairly fresh for the holiday (and hopefully the price will be lower.)

Bookgrrl always posts a Santa Project Summary after the event. I'll keep an eye out for it and make sure to put a link up to her post.

....Oh, and I almost forgot, the final final total went up to $1485....

It sure was fun buying a money order so large, the post office clerk had to break it into two separate orders.. :-))!!

ßÐ

Author: chezjohn Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14578 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/22/2002 12:15 PM
the QHeads had turkeys in the gunsights.....and especially because dear Chez spent so much of his time (and $$) on long-distance calls, chasing down store managers, institutional food purveyors and so forth in search of the elusive bargain basement turkey!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hay Y'all ~ Merry Christmas!!

Yo, I share Bill's sentiment that the cash should be used for whatever they need the most. I went after turkeys and hams because that's what bookgrrl's original post indicated they needed the most. Since hams are more expensive than turkeys...I pounded the grocery stores for bargain prices on turkeys....but when I approached the foodservice companies for food donations...I asked for hams, and frozen vegetables...in addition to turkeys.

I have no way of knowing if any of the institutional foodies donated any turkeys/hams....but...the fact that the money is being used to buy other stuff, i.e., fruit, veggies, etc....indicates to me that perhaps one or more of them did indeed donate some meat. To feed 3,000 people will take approximately 300 turkeys (depending on their size)...

So...where did these 300 turkeys/hams come from??

Chez

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14584 of 81888
Subject: Re: The Final Story on the Santa Project Date: 12/22/2002 5:46 PM

Sounds reeel good to me, Lydia. I war at da local Sav-A-Center today and day had a big pile of dem Loosiana satsumas, you know dem sweet seedless tangerines dat some folks call mandarin oranges, fo sale at 8 for a buck. I was tempted to buy some more but we still gots 15 or 12 on da counter when day 10 for a buck last week. I wish dere were a way to ship a couple of thousand of dem up to Chi town fo dem kids to munch out on. ;-)

C.J.V.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement