UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: meterclicks Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: The first day of the rest of my life. Date: 12/14/2008 1:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 160
Feb 2006 (all-time highest balance):
BOA1: $8755.00
BOA2: $8709.23
BOA3: $7782.11
SL 1: $9233.25
Total: $34,479.59

May 2007 (first post on the Fool):
BOA1: $4184.13
BOA2: $6636.00
BOA3: $7477.54
SL 1: $8676.84
Total: $26,974.51

Dec 2008:
BOA1: 0
BOA2: 0
BOA3: 0
SL 1: 0

Yesterday I scheduled the final payment on my credit cards. For the first time in approximately 14 years, I am credit card debt free.

I feel a mixed bunch of feelings: delight, of course, and a powerful sense of freedom. Sadness at having wasted what was certainly thousands of dollars in interest payments. Disbelief (can the debt really be gone?). Trepidation about unforeseeable financial challenges ahead.

It also feels, in a way, like my adult life is finally beginning. I'm 31, and for the 6 years since I've been out of graduate school, I've been living like a student in some ways - dressing in jeans and flip-flops (I only have one halfway-decent suit, and I have to dress up for work fairly often); owning furniture that's heavy on the futon & milk crate aesthetic; eating pasta straight out of the pot. Of course, for much of that time I was also spending money I didn't have on restaurants, trips, movies, etc. After I got serious about debt paydown, the frivolous expenses stopped, but the shabby lifestyle persisted. Much of that was about not having the money to buy nicer things, of course, but I'm realizing now that part of it was about not having grown up: my life didn't feel like my own because my money was not my own. My parents haven't been my "boss" since I last lived with them in 1994 -- but my debt has been my boss, my burden, which, it turns out, feels like much the same thing.

Now that I've begun my life without credit card debt, I'm able to think about acting my age -- wearing clothes that fit, owning furniture I'm not embarrassed by, planning for retirement and other future goals. I'm the boss of my money, now, not the other way around.

As for making it through the long, slow slog of debt paydown, the things that kept me going were reading this board, as well as various personal finance blogs; tinkering with my budget and the debt snowball calculator; paying "snowflakes" towards my debt when possible (small payments of even a few dollars), in addition to the snowball; daydreaming about life without credit card debt; and finding cheap ways to entertain myself while waiting for the time to pass (the public library has helped a lot).

I stopped by Pier One this morning -- it's one of those stores whose windows I used to stare into longingly, knowing that I didn't have the money to spend on anything inside. Today I finally walked in. And I discovered, walking around the aisles, that there were very few things I really wanted. I picked up a few things, but decided that I didn't really want them, and put them back on the shelf.

And that's the most valuable lesson I've learned over the past three years: how to take care of my needs, to minimize my wants, and to distinguish between the two. How to resist the notion that I deserve this splurge. How to save up a bit each month for something -- if I really want it, it's worth waiting (and saving) for. How to say, to friends and colleagues and family, Sorry, but I can't afford that. These have been expensive lessons, but invaluable ones.

And I couldn't have done it without the people on this board. I haven't posted all that much, but I've been reading every day, and your posts have helped me more than I can say. I really wish I could look in your eyes and shake your hands, Windowseat, aj485, Seattle Pioneer, xraymd, and so many others. But in lieu of that, please accept my deepest, heartfelt gratitude for changing my life for the better. I wouldn't be enjoying this new freedom if it weren't for you.

And now I'll put on my worn-out sneakers, fling my arms back, and dance my Happy Dance -- that's one indulgence I really do deserve.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement