Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GrandmaLil Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2369  
Subject: The Florida Trip Date: 4/9/2004 9:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi Tooty, thanks for asking. Here's some info on my trip.
Many of the people that live in my 55+ community are snowbirds. They head to homes in Florida and spend 2-4 months down there each winter. Since I have a motorhome, I decided that getting away from Old Man Winter (here in NJ) would be a good idea.
My sister and her bubby have been doing Florida stuff for years. At first they would go for a month and stay in hotels. They graduated to a pop-up and were able to increase the stay to 2-3 months. They are now in their second trailer, and loving it. My brother and his wife also started with a pop-up, and went down one Winter and hooked up with our sister. They have also now got a trailer. So this year, I joined them in my rig and we spent 2 months traveling all over the state.
I must say that it was a lot of relaxation. We didn't spend all our time together, as we would get together around lunchtime (unless we had something specific planned), and stay together until after dinner. That gave everyone some private time, and allowed us to get along pretty well.
The motorhome worked fine. I had one incident with a tree branch and managed to pop a small hole in the side (sigh), but we filled it in with compound to prevent any water from getting in and I am looking for a decal of a flag or eagle to place over the spot. It really isn't very visible, but I know it's there.
The oddest thing that happened to us was that one night my brother's flashers started going off. He went out to the car to see what was up, but couldn't see anything at all. The next morning I came out of my place, and there was a large, very fat, raccoon sitting on his windshield (on the inside). Apparently when we had been unloading his Expedition after we got back from dinner, the raccoon sliped inside. He was attracted by the smell of some carmel apples that my sister had bought, and that she had forgotten in the car. Someone must have left the door open long enough while we were shuttling back and forth that the raccoon slipped inside. All the carmel apples were eaten at least partially, and the wiring under the driver's side got ripped out and chewed apart. Fortunately the only effect that we found was that the seat belt alarm no longer goes off. To make matter a little worse, this vehicle had about 400 miles on it when my brother left NY. Ouch!
So now I am back. My biggest concern before I go again is figuring out the best way to do computer hookup. Had a few late charges slapped on me because my son-in-law did not jump on the bills immediately when they came in, so I better handle that myself if I can.
Has anyone else on here ever had any issues with forwarded mail? It seems to take a very long time to get to the temporary address. Sometimes even passed the due date.
Any good hookup ideas? I tried AOL, but seemed to have a very difficult time getting it to logon properly, and when you are moving around, it is very difficult to find a good number to use. (Or so it seemed to me).
Grandma
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement