Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFCheeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27654  
Subject: The Fool's School Date: 4/15/1999 1:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Fools...

One resource we try to see that all beginning investors know about is The Fool's School. This is a great place to start your financial education, with all kinds of great information on the basics of investing. Find it at:

http://www.fool.com/school.htm

And pay special attention to the 13 Steps to Investing Foolishly.

Fool on,
Cheeze :-)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFSchool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 27654
Subject: Re: The Fool's School Date: 4/15/1999 2:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Cheeze,

Why thank you very much for the plug. : )I also want to point out a brand new Fool's School feature we just added to the School -- Investing Basics. Here's a link: http://www.fool.com/School/Basics/InvestingBasics.htm. Investing Basics offers a general overview of almost all financial vehicles. It's a bit broader than 13 Steps.

Us Fool's Schoolers will be popping in here to meet and greet and answer some questions, too. (Oh, okay, and to occasionally plug a new area of the Fool's School.)

Welcome all!
Dayana

Author: mattgutting Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23787 of 27654
Subject: Re: The Fool's School Date: 8/12/2010 1:28 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to teach my kids about investing. I 1st had them read the basics but they don't understand. Any books out there on their level to help?

Thanks

Author: jackcrow Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23789 of 27654
Subject: Re: The Fool's School Date: 8/12/2010 2:18 PM
How old are the yougn'ens?

If they are young enough brake out the monopoly money and let them pick some stocks from the newspaper or pick companies they like. I would set it up where they have to invest in three pools: Stocks, Treasuries, and a Savings account. Try to explain or maybe create a 3x5 card that briefly explains the risks and rewards of each and then let them divide up their funny money. It is the same thing that we do as adults. We want X in savings for rainy days and the next big ticket item, we want Y in something pretty darn safe and we want Z in something with a legitimate chance to earn larger returns while accepting the potential temporary or permanent losses. What I wouldn't do is explain to them the rules usually pitched by the industry like your bond exposure should be 100 minus your age. Let them explore and learn. The only box children should be in when learning is one that keeps them safe from harm.

If you are handy with a spread sheet you can put their results into the spreed sheet. Run the experiment as long as their attention span lasts.

One other choice would be to remove the real world and create a game where some results are the result of a toss of dice. I'm not a fan of this because it isn't really how the stock or bond market works but as a beginning learning tool it might work fine. Maybe someone with youth teaching experience could chime in.

Hmm

Acquire by Avalon Hill games might teach them something about the corporate world.

There are also several free stock picking games on the web if you google "free investing games"

One of the problems we run into on the web is that they are stock picking games which teach folks about the stock market. The stock market is only one portion of a solid investing strategy.

jack

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23790 of 27654
Subject: Re: The Fool's School Date: 8/12/2010 3:09 PM
"Any books out there on their level to help?"

For teenagers... The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of [Paperback]

18 reviews on Amazon, 4 Stars(2); 5 Stars (16) You might want to read them. I haven't read the book so can't comment.

http://www.amazon.com/Motley-Fool-Investment-Guide-Teens/dp/...

Also available for the Kindle. If you don't have a Kindle, or even if you do, you can download Kindle software for your PC.

Regards, Ken

Author: profits4fun Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26251 of 27654
Subject: Re: The Fool's School Date: 11/1/2012 4:14 PM
May be a bit late, but the Rich Dad Poor Dad series is pretty good as well. I would go with the first two books in the series (Rich Dad Poor Dad, and Cash Flow Quadrant) also for games there is a Cash-Flow for kids and a Cash-Flow (for us older kids) I think there is 101 and 102... it till teach about Real Estate investing.... it's like Monopoly on steroids... had my kids (age 8 and up) speaking in investment terminology in no time.... hey dad whats your ROI on that?... haha

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement