Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: squirmyworm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5339  
Subject: the furniture hunt Date: 1/2/2007 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've saved up $600 so far for furniture which is half of my goal. Actually, I bought two lamps a few weeks ago so I'm down to around $530. For my next purchase I'm considering two arm chairs from IKEA which are reasonably priced, until you add in shipping and handling, yikes! I'm debating whether the extra cost is worth it since it's exactly the style I like and I'm not having any luck finding what I want locally. I've also got my eye on a bench I found online, which I think is totally gorgeous (http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Ethan_Bench_with_Three_Drawers/110/). It has drawers underneath plus a shelf under that, so it'll be useful for seating as well as storage. Kind of out of my price range but it's multipurpose and good quality. I'm trying to justify it by telling myself it's actually several pieces of furniture in one and won't that save me money?

After that I'll need a loveseat, preferably one that folds out into a sleeper. I know futons are popular for that purpose, but I hate them with a passion. They're just too college dorm and that's the look I'm trying to get away from. A floor lamp and end table, and that'll be all I can spend for the living room. Then it's on to the bedroom.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: stellla Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5322 of 5339
Subject: Re: the furniture hunt Date: 1/10/2007 6:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
It sounds like you're willing to take your time and get pieces slowly. I watch the local freecyle (freecycle.org) and the free section on Craig's List (craigslist.com). I've gotten a couple of really good items, including a water color painting that's exactly what I needed. It's very hit or miss, but if you have patience, you can find some amazing things.

Same thing with the furniture for sell on craigslist. I've seen some lamps and a couple of tables I really wanted, but I'm not buying at the moment.

If you keep up with those resources and look at it as just seeing if the perfect things happens to show up, it's pretty fun. The easiest window shopping you'll ever have. And if something that's what you have in mind shows up, you can end up with a great bargain.

Good luck on decorating!

Author: squirmyworm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5323 of 5339
Subject: Re: the furniture hunt Date: 1/14/2007 10:20 AM
It sounds like you're willing to take your time and get pieces slowly. I watch the local freecyle (freecycle.org) and the free section on Craig's List (craigslist.com). I've gotten a couple of really good items, including a water color painting that's exactly what I needed. It's very hit or miss, but if you have patience, you can find some amazing things.

I've seen lots of furniture at Goodwill that I really liked. The only problem is I have no way to get it home. :-(

Good luck on decorating!

Thanks!

Author: squirmyworm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5324 of 5339
Subject: Re: the furniture hunt Date: 1/14/2007 10:35 AM
The IKEA chairs are ordered and on their way. Total spent: ~$356. Because of s&h, it was actually cheaper to order two! It's crazy. And I must be crazy to spend that amount on furniture. Even though it was money that I specifically set aside for that purpose, I still can't escape feelings of guilt. But I will have to get over it somehow because in addition to seating, I think it's also time to buy a bed. I'm waking up with neck and shoulder pain that I didn't have a few years ago. I wonder if it's the floor, or am I just getting old?

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5325 of 5339
Subject: Re: the furniture hunt Date: 1/14/2007 12:00 PM
I've seen lots of furniture at Goodwill that I really liked. The only problem is I have no way to get it home. :-(

You need a friend with a truck.

FoolNBlue (Sucker who bought a truck)

Author: MonksterFool Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5326 of 5339
Subject: Re: the furniture hunt Date: 1/14/2007 7:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
I think it's also time to buy a bed. I'm waking up with neck and shoulder pain that I didn't have a few years ago. I wonder if it's the floor, or am I just getting old?

You sleep on the floor?? I am all for LBYM but a bed is a priority for me.

Author: squirmyworm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5327 of 5339
Subject: Re: the furniture hunt Date: 1/15/2007 12:15 PM
You sleep on the floor?? I am all for LBYM but a bed is a priority for me.

A bed is useless if you have no roof to put over it.

Author: squirmyworm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5329 of 5339
Subject: Re: the furniture hunt Date: 1/21/2007 11:25 AM
The red chairs from IKEA arrived yesterday and I'm still deciding how I feel about them. I try to keep reminding myself that while I spent over $300 aquiring them, they actually cost $100 bucks a piece so what kind of quality did I expect? The red is a little brighter than I like but is doable. The fabric probably irritates me most. It's cotton, but a really rough cotton and I don't like the way it feels on my skin. I'm tempted to have it reupholstered or face my fears and learn to reupholster it myself. There's always the option of leaving it as is and living with furniture I hate, which is cheaper. Lots to think about, including why I can't seem to make good buying decisions.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5338 of 5339
Subject: Re: the furniture hunt Date: 2/12/2007 1:41 PM
The amazing thing I keep wondering is: Why would a woman do this to herself?
Oen good place to start is never buy things that you can't try out. Especially with furniture.

Your first priority should be buying a bed or at least the box springs and mattress. Most places will throw in the frame. Headboard and footboard are non-essentials.

Love
Loving

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement