Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35  
Subject: The future Date: 9/8/2002 12:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Thought I'd post this for those who are involved in a not-so-great relationship with a stepchild.

My then-husband's daughter was 2 when her parents split up, almost 4 when I started to date her Dad and 6 when we got married. She would spend every Saturday with us. While we weren't very close, I did try to let her and her Dad have their quality time together. He and I separated when she was 12 and shortly thereafter, her mother died so she went to live with her Dad. A year later he and I reconciled and we became a "family". She was 13 and I was strict so her teenage years were a battle for all of us. Many times she reminded me that I was not her mother.

When she was 19 her Dad and I split for good. She and I maintained a relationship over the years - spoke on the phone once or twice a year - exchanged greeting cards, etc. I attended her wedding.

Some years back when she was about 30, she told me that she was very grateful to me for all the love I expressed over the years and particularly for trying to make her walk the straight and narrow as a teen. (She also thanked me for forcing her to go to church on Sunday, etc. as she took a lot of comfort in her faith as the years went by.)
Made me so proud and happy. In fact, I was one of the 6 people she invited to a "home Mass" that she had for her Mom some years ago. (Her Dad wasn't.)

Unfortunately, the world lost her this January when at 38 she died from a brain aneurysm which was apparently caused by a congenital disease she inherited from her mom. (My dear SD had had a hip replacement and a heart valve replacement due to the disease.)

At her wake, the priest told me how often she had told him how grateful she was for my being there and loving her and guiding her through her teenage years.

So - just hang in there, do your best, love the child and be the best parent you can (forget about the "step" part.)

Christina
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement