UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59078  
Subject: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 6/30/2011 12:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 45
Some people, well, lots of people actually have pointed to New Jersey Governor Chris Christie as a possible saviour of the Republican Party, Very serious, he is, and a true conservative.

Saying all the right things, doing all the right things... except, well, the people in New Jersey don't think so.

More than half of New Jersey residents say they wouldn’t back Governor Chris Christie for a second term, disapproving of his choices on a range of policy and personal issues, from killing a commuter tunnel to using a state-police helicopter to attend his son’s baseball game.
Teachers, whose union Christie has targeted on tenure, pay and benefits, received a far higher favorable rating, 76 percent, than the first-term Republican. His favorable rating was 43 percent, according to a Bloomberg New Jersey poll conducted June 20-23.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-06-29/new-jersey-s-christ...

Fifty-eight percent of New Jersey residents disagreed with Christie’s decision not to extend a surcharge on the state’s highest-earning taxpayers. A majority, 51 percent, opposed his October cancellation of an $8.7 billion rail tunnel to New York, and 70 percent disagreed with his traveling via helicopter to his teenage son’s baseball game.

The governor’s education-spending reductions were opposed by 65 percent.
The governor was viewed unfavorably by 53 percent of those polled. Unsurprisingly, the Governor's office didn't return a phone call to Bloomberg News to respond.

Oh, what a shock it must be, to find that the Republican you voted for is actually, you know, a Republican. And that he doesn't mind taking a state helicopter to his kid's Little League games, even as he chops the budget for teachers and state workers and insists on more tax cuts for the private jet set.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35078 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 6/30/2011 2:02 PM
Recommendations: 6
I don't see anything there that I would consider surprising. NJ is a blue state. Unions are powerful and tend to cooperate with liberals and machine politicians especially among minorities in the larger cities to elect Democrats who vote for their programs.

Yes, Christie took on the teachers unions and the public employees unions over pensions and health insurance payments. Plus the constructions unions like projects like the new tunnel under the Hudson.

The Millionaire's tax has been a political issue for quite a while. Democrats enacted it to help pay for property tax rebates (but that only lasted one year before rising costs ate the available funds). Plus some maintain that it drives high income taxpayers out of state. The tax failed to produce the expected revenue.

In NJ registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans. Plus in recent times Repubs have been divided on the issue of abortion. Repubs cannot be elected if they are not prochoice. Christie has done pretty well with his prolife position.

Yes, when austerity programs are announced at the state level in NJ, the usual result is that local costs like property taxes go up to compensate. And voters see their favorite programs trimmed.

Yes, everyone likes the services the politicians provide. If only they were willing to pay for them.

Christie at least tells it like it is. If you want services, you have to be willing to pay for them. Otherwise, we will prioritize services using the funds voters make available. The rest is merely politics as usual.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35084 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 6/30/2011 4:18 PM
Recommendations: 0
Oh, what a shock it must be, to find that the Republican you voted for is actually, you know, a Republican.

I can understand the confusion.

There was a period of time when Republicans were big spenders and spending cuts were few and far between.

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=3750

Author: StevesStox Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35085 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 6/30/2011 4:57 PM
Recommendations: 3
Goofyhoofy,

If the liberals "dirty laundry" on Christie is that he took a state helicopter to his son's baseball game, it just adds more evidence to me that of his overall integrity.

Yes, he used $2,316 in taxpayer funds for a helicopter ride. Next time I'm sure he will use the more acceptable 15-state police cruiser motorcade during rush hour traffic, bringing everything to a gridlock.

As someone who actually lives in NJ, I can tell you that this state is in desperate financial condition, and cuts need to be made. Did you know that police officers in Elmwood Park, NJ (a very small town), are each required to issue 20 traffic summonses per day? (NJ.com published a full story about it a few days ago on their site). Why? Because the department is bloated. Daily highway check points for seatbelts and inspection stickers, and random running of liscence plates are a way of life here.

Drive down the highway and you will see roadcrews everywhere, with guys just sitting around doing nothing. I could give countless examples of government waste in this state but do not have the time to do it right now, but I can assure you that he is doing what is neccessarry not what is popular.

Hey, it could be worse. He could be Barack Obama, who will just sit on his hands in an attempt not to offend anyone whose vote he may lose in the 2012 election. Just saying.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35089 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 6/30/2011 5:53 PM
Recommendations: 59
If the liberals "dirty laundry" on Christie is that he took a state helicopter to his son's baseball game, it just adds more evidence to me that of his overall integrity.

Yes, he used $2,316 in taxpayer funds for a helicopter ride. Next time I'm sure he will use the more acceptable 15-state police cruiser motorcade during rush hour traffic, bringing everything to a gridlock.

Wait... Did you really just say that it's okay that he used the helicopter to get to his son's game because at least he didn't use a 15 car motorcade?!?

What's wrong with just clearing the appropriate amount of time and driving (or having your driver take you, sans pomp) like everyone else does?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but omg that was the weakest defense of entitlement and inappropriate spending I've ever seen. And you class it as evidence of "integrity". ::shudder::

Frydaze1

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35092 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 6/30/2011 8:27 PM
Recommendations: 2
SteveStox:

Are you serious? I don't even think the president has a "15-state police cruiser motorcade". I agree with another poster who asked why Christie couldn't use his own car, or maybe just a good, chauffeured limo, to get to his son's game!

Cuts? How about cuts in tax credits for the very rich?

As someone else said, I have no dog in this fight, either, unless Christie somehow runs for president.

Vermonter

Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35093 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 6/30/2011 8:50 PM
Recommendations: 1
i thought bobby jihndal was the savior? oh, i forgot he needed a federal government bailout for the oil spill!

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35097 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 6/30/2011 11:59 PM
I don't live in NJ or know anything about how things are there. I thought some of the problem with Christie is that he won't share the wealth in fixing the NJ budget.
------------------
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/30/989975/-The-New-Cla...
The latest exhibit is Gov. Chris Christie, whose term has been highlighted by a Dickensian-villain-level lack of concern for his state's poor...

Christie vetoed a bill last May that would have raised taxes on any income over $1 million to 10.75 percent, increasing revenue that was needed to plug the country’s second largest budget gap.

The measure would have affected just 16,000 of the state’s nearly 9 million residents, while Christie’s cuts to education, public safety, and health services have affected millions. Now, state Democrats are re-introducing the surtax, even though it has little hope of passing, as Christie has already said he would veto it.

So Christie is sure that public workers, teachers, the poor, the sick, the old, and everyone else needs to pay for his state's ballooning budget deficit. The only people who aren't expected to pay for it – not even a little, not even a tiny damn bit, heaven forbid – are the wealthy.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35102 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 7/1/2011 1:20 AM
Recommendations: 49
Steve: do you see anything weird about these two statements of yours?

Yes, he used $2,316 in taxpayer funds for a helicopter ride.

As someone who actually lives in NJ, I can tell you that this state is in desperate financial condition

No? Perhaps you need to step back and reconsider?

As someone who actually lives in NJ,

I'm from NJ. I worked for the state of New Jersey, at Greystone State Hospital. I worked at my township during college. My sister lives in NJ. I'm there once, twice a year at least. But thanks for the tour.

I could give countless examples of government waste in this state but do not have the time to do it right now, but I can assure you that he is doing what is neccessarry not what is popular.

Yes, he is definitely doing what is not popular. Including spending $2,000 of taxpayer funds to go to a baseball game. For that price he could take a bunch of people to Yankee Stadium.

Hey, it could be worse. He could be Barack Obama who will just sit on his hands in an attempt not to offend anyone

Yeah, just sitting on his hands. Except for that health care legislation that every President for 20 years has tried to get passed. And that Osama Bin Laden thing. And trying to extricate us from two of George Bush's disastrous wars without having Pakistan go nuts and blow up the entire region. And that Libya thing. And trying to get the Republicans to act like grownups and not destroy the country's economy. Yep, just sitting around.

Maybe Christie should just "sit around." At least the state would have $2,316 more than it does now.

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35105 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 7/1/2011 10:38 AM
Recommendations: 4
...Barack Obama ... will just sit on his hands in an attempt not to offend anyone whose vote he may lose in the 2012 election.

Wow -- he got OBL while sitting on his hands?

culcha

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35107 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 7/1/2011 11:35 AM
Recommendations: 4
As someone who actually lives in NJ, I can tell you that this state is in desperate financial condition, and cuts need to be made.

As someone who actually lives in NJ, I can tell you that this state is in desperate financial condition, and revenues need to be increased.

I can assure you that he is doing what is neccessarry

I wish. Cancelling the tunnel to NY was shortsighted and dumb.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35108 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 7/1/2011 12:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<As someone who actually lives in NJ, I can tell you that this state is in desperate financial condition, and cuts need to be made.

As someone who actually lives in NJ, I can tell you that this state is in desperate financial condition, and revenues need to be increased.>>

For Democrats there's no problem that can't be solved by gouging people for higher taxes.

<<I can assure you that he is doing what is neccessarry

I wish. Cancelling the tunnel to NY was shortsighted and dumb. >>

Why quit spending on a wasteful project while the taxpayers still have money in their pockets?

\Seattle Pioneer

Author: gregoryvg Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35109 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 7/1/2011 12:59 PM
Christie vetoed a bill last May that would have raised taxes on any income over $1 million to 10.75 percent, increasing revenue that was needed to plug the country’s second largest budget gap.

I suppose that could have happened. I also think it is as likely that those rich fat cats would either find ways to shelter their money against that tax or if they felt it was unreasonable they could move to a different state, thereby depriving NJ or all their tax money.

The measure would have affected just 16,000 of the state’s nearly 9 million residents, . . .

How does this matter? So if it only affects a small percentage of the people it's okay to do something? Seriously?

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35114 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 7/1/2011 7:47 PM
As someone who actually lives in NJ, I can tell you that this state is in desperate financial condition, and cuts need to be made.

Shockingly, you're not the only person on these boards from NJ.

And Christie is a bully who throws his not-inconsiderable weight around in order to get his way. Most of the time, I almost believe that his overall intentions are good.

Then he pulls the stupidity like pointing out what people in NJ would have to make to qualify for Medicaid (seriously? Less than $5K a YEAR?), his position on school vouchers (because we desperately need tax dollars funding religious schools), his position on abortion (we're REALLY going to consider requiring the ultrasound before abortions, because THAT cuts costs), and his clear anti-women's health stances.

Let's not get into his p!ssing match with education, educators, and unions in general in this state, since he apparently thinks that the ONLY way to cut costs is HIS way, and he'll bull right through until he gets what he wants.

His intentions may actually be good. But his methodology, his compassion for people, his understanding of the fact that it IS a blue state, and his general "It's my way or the highway" attitude need to get the heck out of office.

GSF

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35116 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 7/1/2011 9:51 PM
And Christie is a bully who throws his not-inconsiderable weight around in order to get his way.
---------
Remember the clips recently where he was asked a question by a woman in NJ? -- she said something to the effect that he has his kids in private school but why is he cutting funding for public schools? What bothered me about the whole thing is no one got an answer about why he was cutting funding for public schools....she didn't say your kids don't deserve to go to private school...she just wanted the funds for public school because that's probably where her kids go. He lashed out at her and said it wasn't her business. Well, she wasn't making his childrens' private education her business, she just wanted to know why? No one in the media pointed this out that I know of.

He's obnoxious and horrible with constituents.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35131 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 7/2/2011 7:43 PM

A governor does not require a motorcade at all.

Author: IBPore Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35140 of 59078
Subject: Re: The Future of the Republican Party Date: 7/3/2011 12:40 AM
I suppose that could have happened. I also think it is as likely that those rich fat cats would either find ways to shelter their money against that tax or if they felt it was unreasonable they could move to a different state, thereby depriving NJ or all their tax money.

Back when I lived in Massachusetts and worked in Rhode Island, I had to pay Rhode Island taxes. My understanding is that you pay income in the state where the income was earned.

IB Pore

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement