Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SemperAugustus Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63836  
Subject: The Future's So Bright... Date: 2/6/2000 6:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 40
Hey dudes,

I just won $235 billion dollars in the Manitoba lottery and I thought maybe I should invest it, you know? So I looked around for the hottest growth stock I could find, and it turns out it's this communications technology company called Nortel Networks. It's quadrupled in the last year alone, so that means only two and a half more years until I'm a trillionaire. And you know what's even better? I've got enough money so I can buy the whole thing and still have $1.4 billion left over to buy a jaguar and stuff!! Woo-hoo!

Anyway, I was all set to enter the buy order when my 10-month-old daughter told me "You know, Daddy, Nortel isn't making any money. They actually lost $0.2 billion in the last 12-months." And I thought: "Wow, that's a pretty coherent statement for her first ever words" and I even felt a little guilty having to chastise her with: "It's not about the past, honey, it's all about the future. Analysts are forecasting $1.81 for next year."

"Well, Daddy, analysts are off by > 15% four times out of ten, and anyway that's still only $2.5 billion in earnings." [It's amazing how quickly your kids can learn to say "only $2.5 billion" after you win the MB lotto].

I scowled at her, and was about to type in my trading password anyway, when she asked: "Can't we at least see what else we could buy?" By this time, my wife was looking over my shoulder too, and technically it's half her money, so I said "Hmmmphh! Well, OK, but this might take me all night." "We'll wait" they said.

I emerged the next morning with the Augustus family stock ballot:

Door # 1
Nortel Networks:
$233.6 billion in market cap
-$0.22 billion in trailing earnings
$2.47 billion in forward earnings

Door # 2:
All 5 big banks (TD,CM,RY,BMO, BNS)
2 piddly PQ banks (LB, NA)
4 mutual fund companies (AGF, IGI, MKF, SZ)
5 retailers (CTR, L, Metro, HBC, LNF)
3 electric utilities (TA, NSH, FTS)
2 pipelines (TRP, W)
2 auto parts suppliers (MG, LNR)
2 profitable biotechs (BCH, MDS)
2 media/broadcasting companies (CGS, AAC)
2 giant fertilizer companies (POT, AGU)
The world's biggest gold producer (ABX)
3 insurance companies (FFH, ELF, KFS)
2 big forestry companies (FCC, NF)
2 big mining companies (NOR, CCO)
2 oil & gas producers (POU, PCP)
2 profitable steel producers (IPS, HSG)
4 engineering/construction companies (SNC, TIH, ST.a)
Power Corporation
Bombardier
ATY Techs
Thomson Corporation
EdperBrascan
Manitoba Telecom (not as big as BCE, but profitable)
Lots of great beer and so-so wine (Unibroue & Vincor)
10 successful small-cap growth companies
2 dead fish (LDM, MCL)
Plus enough left over to buy $13 billion worth of 6% bonds in case all hell breaks lose in the market.

Total = $233 billion
Trailing earnings = $16.3 billion
Next year = > $17.2 billion (couldn't get estimates for all of them, so I just assumed constant from 99).
And by the way, $7 billion of those earnings will get returned in the form of annual dividend payments.

Can you believe it, they outvoted me 3 to 1 (even the dog turned traitor on me).

Fuming in MB,

Semper
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Great Foolish North
Canadian social and off-topic banter.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement