UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 457444  
Subject: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 11:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 52
Driving down I-40 at 70 miles per hour, I saw something up far ahead. A goose walked out onto the highway, and five other geese followed behind obediently. They crossed while there were no cars immediately near by.

Unbelievably, the pack of them made it about halfway into the highway before any cars got to their position. The geese seemed unperturbed as the second one in the line got slammed by a swerving car and its body flipped spinning feathers everywhere.

The next group of geese did not have the luxury of even a car swerve, they were hit in a group and then their bodies run over by a series of cars traveling tightly one behind the other.

When I arrived shortly after this group of cars had decimated the followers, the leader of the geese had just made it to the median, and looked back in a confused way at his pack, now dead and lying all over the highway, feathers floating everywhere.

This is a true story from last weekend, and my children watched the whole thing unfold. I didn't know how to explain it to them. It was a show of crass stupidity on both the part of the leader, and the followers. But for those geese, also tragic.

I have to wonder if we as a country are now in the same position as the geese were when they made it to the middle of the highway. The leaders will look back in confusion in a few months, and wonder what happened.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367450 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 11:31 AM
Recommendations: 4
I have to wonder if we as a country are now in the same position as the geese were when they made it to the middle of the highway. The leaders will look back in confusion in a few months, and wonder what happened.

In a documentary on the Junkers JU-87 dive bomber, there is a mention that the bomb release was connected to a mechanism to automatically pull back on the stick to counter "target fixation": the pilot being so focused on the target that he forgets to pull the plane out of the dive.

Steve

Author: Pituophis Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367452 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 11:38 AM
Recommendations: 1

Excellent! analogy.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367454 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 12:12 PM
Recommendations: 6
The story is much worst than the history relates. The staff officer in charge of the demonstration didn't want to disappoint the senior officers so lied to the crews about the height of the overcast. They "attacked" through the cloud four at a time in close sequence and of the four groups of four Stukas only three of the last group survived because they saw the explosions as the previous group hit the ground and heard the final screams on the radio.

Of course lying would not be a factor here....? }};-O

**** not signed ***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87

Second World War

All Stuka units were moved to Germany's eastern border in preparation for the invasion of Poland. On the morning of August 15, 1939, during a mass formation dive bombing demonstration for high ranking commanders of the Luftwaffe at Neuhammer training grounds near Sagan, 13 Ju 87s and 26 crew members were lost when they crashed into the ground almost simultaneously. The planes dived through cloud, expecting to release their practice bombs and pull out of the dive once below the cloud ceiling, unaware that on that particular day the ceiling was too low and unexpected ground mist formed, leaving them no time to pull out of the dive.[83]

Author: KBGlenn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367457 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 12:39 PM
Recommendations: 7
Excellent! analogy.

Since animals are mentioned, I'm in my element having grown up on a farm with family still in the biz. Not sure if the geese were "R" or "D" geese and it probably doesn't really matter. I think an even better analogy is an analogy about cows.

Cows are interesting creatures. They are pretty much content so long as they are fed. If they aren't fed, they will do what they need to do to get fed. Sometimes including killing themselves trying to navigate a large ditch they can't get out of or crashing a fence that is stronger than they calculated. Farmers and ranchmen know this about cows and so the main thing to keeping your cows under control is to keep them fed. Indeed these professions are driven by the daily or seasonal rhythms of feeding the cows.

Of course farmers and ranchmen being further up the food chain understand why they put up with the daily or seasonal work and true hassle of feeding the cows. They feed them because cows have an intermediary and an end purpose that suits the needs of farmers and ranchmen. Farmers need cows because they can milk them on a daily basis and earn a profit. Ranchmen need them for the calves they produce that can maintain the herd and be sold after a short period of time to another rancher.

Just about all cows end their lives in a similar manner and it isn't pretty so I'll just leave the rest to your imagination. The interesting thing is that farmers, ranchmen and cows can do their thing and have done their thing for thousands of years. However, every once in a while an individual rancher or farmer gets into serious financial trouble and it always ends the same. No more milking, no more calving, just round up the herd sell it off for what you can, and that you don't sell send to the place where cows never come back from.

Here is where our analogy ends. Cows don't get a vote, we do. The end game is the same however. Always has been, most likely always will be. The interesting question for us all regardless of our labels is are we focused on getting fed or the end game?

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367458 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 12:43 PM
Recommendations: 11
Cows don't get a vote, we do.

Unfortunately, it's often not a terribly meaningful vote. The choices we have increasingly look like, "Cross the road and be flattened by cars", or "Get stuck in the ditch and starve".

"Go, cars!"

"Cars suck! Vote for ditch!"

"Only fools stay in a ditch when cars are coming!"

--FY

Author: voiceinthedin Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367459 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 12:49 PM
Recommendations: 0

ya mean......is our goose cookekd???

nope....or will the markets go down....

yep....

Dave

Author: voiceinthedin Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367460 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 12:55 PM
In a documentary on the Junkers JU-87 dive bomber, there is a mention that the bomb release was connected to a mechanism to automatically pull back on the stick to counter "target fixation": the pilot being so focused on the target that he forgets to pull the plane out of the dive.

Steve

if you listened to NPR recently on eating habbits......that sounds like some folks habbits of blocking all out to pursue a big meal all too often....making them obese.......stress is blocked out as people fixate on the food......

probably applies to trading, gambling, etc.......the ability to block out other stressers while focused on one function.......not enviable.....

Dave

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367468 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 3:29 PM
On the morning of August 15, 1939

Another case, a bit more recent:

The Thunderbirds' "Diamond Crash"

At Indian Springs Auxiliary Air Base, Nevada

January 18, 1982

The four "Diamond" aircraft, Thunderbirds #1, 2, 3, and 4 (tail numbers 68-8156, 8175, 8176 & 8184), were training for an air show at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona. Climbing side-by-side for several thousand feet in a slow, backward loop, then hurtling down at more than 400 mph, leveling off at about 100 feet, in a maneuver called a "line-abreast loop," a malfunction in the lead plane, Thunderbird #1, occurred.
----
Following their leader to the end, all four planes plowed in the ground. All four pilots were killed instantly.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Thunderbirds-Diamond_Cr...

Steve

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367484 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 5:47 PM
The story is much worst than the history relates. The staff officer in charge of the demonstration didn't want to disappoint the senior officers so lied to the crews about the height of the overcast.

Fawning "leaders" eager to impress superiors are the bane of subordinates.

I recall reading of some lieutenant during the Korean war repeatedly ordering his men on a demonstration patrol before a group of the Lt's superiors to hurry on despite the fact that he'd ordered them to patrol into a minefield.

The men, mindful of their love for their lives & limbs, ignored his radio calls.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367487 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 6:05 PM
... or crashing a fence that is stronger than they calculated.

Cows calculate?

Here is where our analogy ends. Cows don't get a vote, we do. The end game is the same however. Always has been, most likely always will be. The interesting question for us all regardless of our labels is are we focused on getting fed or the end game?

Given that we've repeatedly elected/reelected "farmers/ranchers" who've consistently spent more than is coming in; I'd have to say we're focused on the hay!

However some like Heidi get away:
http://www.wlwt.com/r/1243988/detail.html

Gold is the currency of kings,
silver is the currency of gentlemen,
barter is the currency of peasants
-- but debt is the currency of slaves.

Author: rjf53 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367492 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 6:46 PM
Recommendations: 4
Great story!

I know politics isn't allowed at METAR so I won't bring up any names or anything but I do have one question.

Did the leader of the geese have a really nice suntan?

B

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367493 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 7:00 PM
Recommendations: 2
Cows calculate?

Yes, but always badly.

--FY

Author: KBGlenn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367496 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 7:51 PM
Recommendations: 8
Cows calculate?

Yes, but always badly.

Totally busted...everyone who has been around a cow knows the answer!
:-)

There was a time I thought cows had to be the dumbest animals on the planet...then I had an amazing experience at Yellowstone involving buffalo stupidity.

We were in a campground on the western side of the park when a small buffalo herd decided it was going to go through the campground. I scooped up my youngest daughter and quickly put a cemented in picnic table between us and a very large bull. About 5 yards from the table was a a huge pine tree, maybe 30-36 inches wide...very old NOT going anywhere. The bull walks by us pauses to take a look and keeps heading on it's way and runs head first into the tree. The bull backs up maybe 10 yards and charges the tree! The tree is so large that there isn't the slightest bit of movement. The bull shakes its head a bit and backs up maybe 20 yards and does a full out running head down charge into the tree again! Afterward I had Kevin Costner moment where I was at one with the bull's thinking and I'm sure it was saying...hmmm I guess this isn't moving...and then it sidesteps the tree and continues on it's way.

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367504 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/30/2011 9:12 PM

Yup! It was all the FAULT of the leader.

We citizens bear absolutely NO responsibility for following our "leaders" into a disaster.

We follow the crowd. As investors and as voters. Then we get angry when things don't turn out well.

That's why we are doomed to be disappointed with our leaders.

I loved your story. I just interpret it a lot differently.

Oh....and by the way.....maybe some of those cars could have stopped if they weren't tailgaiting at 70 mph.

Jack

Author: Cashemco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367539 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/31/2011 7:15 AM
"In a documentary on the Junkers JU-87 dive bomber, there is a mention that the bomb release was connected to a mechanism to automatically pull back on the stick to counter "target fixation": the pilot being so focused on the target that he forgets to pull the plane out of the dive."

I do that in Putting a golf ball, I get so engrossed on the line of the putt that I forget to hit it.

cashe

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367567 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/31/2011 1:03 PM
Unfortunately, it's often not a terribly meaningful vote. The choices we have increasingly look like, "Cross the road and be flattened by cars", or "Get stuck in the ditch and starve".

I don't believe that's at all true for the vast majority of people who read this board. Whether or not the country is in a downward spiral, nearly everyone reading this has a third option. The fact that most of us choose to stay here, when we could (relatively) easily expatriate, says a lot, about a lot of things. This is still a pretty fantastic place to live.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 367582 of 457444
Subject: Re: The Geese Date: 7/31/2011 4:26 PM
The bull walks by us pauses to take a look and keeps heading on it's way and runs head first into the tree. The bull backs up maybe 10 yards and charges the tree! The tree is so large that there isn't the slightest bit of movement. The bull shakes its head a bit and backs up maybe 20 yards and does a full out running head down charge into the tree again! Afterward I had Kevin Costner moment where I was at one with the bull's thinking and I'm sure it was saying...hmmm I guess this isn't moving...and then it sidesteps the tree and continues on it's way.

Stupid... but not insane, as it took only three tries before choosing a different solution.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement