Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: The Good News Continues Date: 6/19/2014 12:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
Personally that is. FIRE is eminent. As I mentioned at the beginning of the year, I hit the low-end range of my magic FIRE number. At the time, it was mainly because of a 6 bagger from AAMRQ/AAL stock. Now it’s closing in as an 8 bagger and that puts me over the middle range and within striking distance of my ‘dream’ upper range. What I don’t have is a paid off house yet. Also, having a kid in college makes it a bit uneasy to FIRE with her still being on the payroll.

My 1st 2 kids received athletic scholarships. My last just finished her 1st year of college being paid with a combo of her working, our contributions, a few small scholarships and a small school loan.

She was offered various volleyball scholarships in High School but turned them down. She was done (so she said).

However, she misses volleyball and having a school loan bothers her. So this weekend, she contacted her old High School coach to let her know she has reconsidered and is making herself available if any local colleges could use a standout ‘setter’. 2 days later, she signed for a ‘full ride’ scholarship at a nearby JC. Full tuition, books, room and board and meal plan. She is happy to back in the game. More than likely, this will lead to scholarships at a D1 or D2 school later, which actively recruited her in High School as it was.

I’m happy for her. But I’m also happy because it removes some of the financial pressure off of us if we were to FIRE soon. This could move up my FIRE date to possibly this fall. I dunno yet. Life is good.

Although I wanted the house paid off before I FIRE'd, it's not that big of a deal as I crunch the numbers. I have 3.25% mortgage rate which has lowered my payment substantially to the point it's a drop in the bucket. We are thinking of staying in the home a year or two (after FIRE) and use it as a base for RV trips around the country at about 2 weeks at a time. After my daughter graduates from college, then sell the house and possibly RV full time until we decide where we want to move.

Metal (life is good)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement