Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 441308  
Subject: The Grate Debate Date: 10/3/2012 11:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Rmoney won. Bill Maher agrees.

Obama didn't call him out on the lies, and he didn't even mention the monolithic "party of NO". Rmoney beat OBAMA up for not being bipartisan!

Count Upp
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410304 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 1:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Rmoney won. Bill Maher agrees.

Obama didn't call him out on the lies, and he didn't even mention the monolithic "party of NO". Rmoney beat OBAMA up for not being bipartisan!

Count Upp

-----------------

Obama should have asked him how he felt when Bain took over those companies and destroyed them and thousands of people's jobs and futures along with it -- not to mention how he profited from their misery.

Obama is just too nice for debating -- not that you can call what happened tonight a debate. Romney was rude, jumpy, and obnoxious. Obama was passive and falling-asleep calm.

The whole thing stank to high heavens. And Lehrer was horrible.

AM
....if there was a god, I'd be president during one of these fiascos and would let Romney have it with both barrels. BAM! Right between his beady eyes. Frak! Wake up, Obama!

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410305 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 1:41 AM
Recommendations: 2
Obama is just too nice for debating -- not that you can call what happened tonight a debate. Romney was rude, jumpy, and obnoxious. Obama was passive and falling-asleep calm.

Who came across as more likeable and Presidential? That's what sways voters. That's how Raygun and Bush slipped into office. Was Obama "likeable enough"? Did Romney double down on seeming like a twerpy a-hole?

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410308 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 6:26 AM
Recommendations: 0
CNN Poll: Most watchers say Romney debate winner
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/03/cnn-poll-rom...

Two-thirds of people who watched the first presidential debate think that Republican nominee Mitt Romney won the showdown, according to a nationwide poll conducted Wednesday night. According to a CNN/ORC International survey conducted right after the debate, 67% of debate watchers questioned said that the Republican nominee won the faceoff, with one in four saying that President Barack Obama was victorious.

"No presidential candidate has topped 60% in that question since it was first asked in 1984," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

DB2

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410310 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 8:18 AM
Recommendations: 5
Two-thirds of people who watched the first presidential debate think that Republican nominee Mitt Romney won the showdown, according to a nationwide poll conducted Wednesday night. According to a CNN/ORC International survey conducted right after the debate, 67% of debate watchers questioned said that the Republican nominee won the faceoff, with one in four saying that President Barack Obama was victorious.

It depends what you mean by 'victorious'. I think Romney did a better job of sugar coating his plan and spoon feeding it. I think Obama did not do a great job of shooting the holes in that plan. From a pure 'debating' perspective, Romney probably won. The problem is his message was still bullsh!t and lies. He spun out some cotton candy fluff with no substance behind it. Obama tried to point out that it was fluff and Romney went back to a "cotton candy is tasty" argument. He spun it pretty well, but it is still going to rot our teeth and give us diabetes and leave us with no health care to cover the costs.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410311 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 8:51 AM
It depends what you mean by 'victorious'.

It means you use the debates to win the election and that's it. Obama looked like a wimpy, passive, jerk. Now we'll wait for the polls to see how that plays out.

Obama had an opportunity as President to do things that would have insured his election. Instead he chose to bog himself down in an endless health care debate. But in fairness to Obama, there's barely a populist left among the national Democrats and it has shown in the Obama presidency, he's no FDR.

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410313 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 9:13 AM
Obama was like a stick of wood! Why didn't he decimate Romney - he could have.....why didn't he use the 47% and all the other weapons at his disposal?

Even Michelle looked ill at ease in the audience......granted it was a lousy way to spend their anniversary but.....

WTF

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410314 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 9:15 AM
AM
....if there was a god, I'd be president during one of these fiascos

Freudian slip?

DB2

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410315 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 9:23 AM
Obama wasn’t prepared to answer Romney’s attacks on his record (and he’s had years to prepare for that). What did Obama and his team think Romney had planned for this debate? An extensive dialogue on the 47% or the care and feeding/eating of dogs? Of course not; Romney was going to attack Obama’s record.

And that’s the heart of the problem. It’s the fact that Obama has a poor record in his term, and that Obama can’t explain how more of the same will work out better in a second four years.

DB2

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410316 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 9:40 AM
Recommendations: 4
It sounds like Romney won by making up most of his facts:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/10/03/162263539...

Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410317 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 9:55 AM

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/10/03/162263539......

And people wonder why Romney doesn't like NPR.
PF

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410318 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 9:59 AM
Who came across as more likeable and Presidential? That's what sways voters. That's how Raygun and Bush slipped into office. Was Obama "likeable enough"? Did Romney double down on seeming like a twerpy a-hole?

---------------

Well he seemed like a twerpy a-hole to me, but then I like neither him nor his twisted ideas for this country. We've had enough suffering down here in his 47% which will, if he is elected, grow to 87%.

AM

Author: VUCommodore Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410319 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 10:08 AM
"We've had enough suffering down here in his 47% which will, if he is elected, grow to 87%."

Romney is planning to cut the middle class's tax liability to zero? Woohoo!! Haha.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410320 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 10:29 AM
He spun it pretty well, but it is still going to rot our teeth and give us diabetes and leave us with no health care to cover the costs.

On the one hand, never underestimate the gullibility of the voting public that put Bush 2 back in office in 2004.

On the other hand, Romney's negatives are high, and I doubt the debate did much to make all of those unfavorable impressions evaporate.

At least, I hope not. ;-p

--FY

Author: Beridian Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410321 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 11:30 AM
Recommendations: 26
What I saw:

Mitt Romney desperate to say anything that will ring the electorates bell. Obama standing there disinterested, apparently assuming that Romney's flagrant pandering was self evident. I was disappointed that Obama did not fight, he is a diplomat not a gladiator.

All-in-all 90 minutes of non-formation.

This poem reminds me of Romney:

He's the Twistable Turnable Squeezable Pullable
Stretchable Foldable Man.
He can crawl in your pocket or fit your locket
Or screw himself into a twenty-volt socket,
Or stretch himself up to the steeple or taller,
Or squeeze himself into a thimble or smaller,
Yes he can, course he can,
He's the Twistable Turnable Squeezable Pullable
Stretchable Shrinkable Man.
And he lives a passable life
With his Squeezable Lovable Kissable Hugable
Pullable Tugable Wife.
And they have two twistable kids
Who bend up the way that they did.
And they turn and they stretch
Just as much as they can
For this Bendable Foldable
Do-what-you're-toldable
Easily moldable
Buy-what you're-soldable
Washable Mendable
Highly Dependable
Buyable Saleable
Always available
Bounceable Shakeable
Almost unbreakable
Twistable Turnable Man.

-Shel Silverstein

Author: Windchasers Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410333 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 2:19 PM

There's really a lot more to it than that. I'm watching the debates right now, and Romney seems more energetic, more awake, more responsive, and more confident. Obama seems.. well, tired. He says "uhhh" or "ummm" about every other sentence, and speaks about half as quickly as Romney. Obama also blinked a lot more often.

Body language, energy, and engagement a big part of public speaking, and make a big difference in who "wins". If Obama had had a cup of coffee or two before the debates, it might have gone completely differently.

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410334 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 2:29 PM
Body language, energy, and engagement a big part of public speaking, and make a big difference in who "wins". If Obama had had a cup of coffee or two before the debates, it might have gone completely differently.

He also didn't have his teleprompter. :-)

DB2

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410335 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 2:36 PM
"Grate" debate?
Cast iron vs. aluminum? Spacing of slots? Installation details?

Do tell...

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410336 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 2:41 PM
Gingko100: "Grate" debate?

Do tell...

Grate like 'cheese grater'.

rj

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410339 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 3:49 PM
"Grate" debate?

Do tell...

As in 'Scraping your nails on the blackboard grates my nerves.'

DB2

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410343 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 4:52 PM
"Grate" debate?

Do tell...

Your silly nonsense is grating.

8^)

CU

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410347 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 5:23 PM
67% of debate watchers questioned said that the Republican nominee won the faceoff....
"No presidential candidate has topped 60% in that question since it was first asked in 1984"

Pretty good for a guy who doesn't understand airplane windows.

DB2

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410349 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/4/2012 5:31 PM
Your silly nonsense is grating.
Nice use of the word in the correct context - kudos to you!

Author: agyjdgphil Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410368 of 441308
Subject: Re: The Grate Debate Date: 10/5/2012 12:28 AM
<On the one hand, never underestimate the gullibility of the voting public that put Bush 2 back in office in 2004.>

That plus a lot of help from the Diebold voting machines in Ohio....it shouldn't have been close enough for cheating to close the gap, but it was.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement