UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461093  
Subject: Re: Can Washington improve GDP growth? Date: 11/17/2012 3:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The great innovative genius, Genghis Khan, who created the world's largest and longest-surviving empire up to that time, is said to have insisted on cancelling old laws before making new ones so that there could not be more laws than a man can remember. I think he set the limit at 21 laws. Some of his laws enforced freedoms rather than restricting them, for instance the freedom to travel without being robbed, stopped, or taxed along the way. He was a man who understood economics very well and brought peace and prosperity to his dominions in a way that had not been previously experienced in this world.

The Mongols were a lot of things, but they sure weren't peaceful. I don't know how many laws they had, but the punishment was usually death. For example, not picking something the solider in front of you dropped was a capital offense.

I see that Wikipedia credits the Mongols for killing between 7.5%–17.1% of the world population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_disasters_by_d...

I'm not sure they "brought prosperity" either. A favorite tactic was to force the inhabitants of a region to collect the harvest which the Mongols would keep. The Mongols would then kill all the farmers. That meant there would be no harvest next year, which brought widespread starvation. The Mongols used this tactic extensively in what is now Russia which they conquered in short order. Kiev was one of the largest cities in the world until it was sacked by the Mongols and virtually all the inhabitants were killed or enslaved. It didn't recover for centuries.

You may have heard the "Golden Age of Islam" when the Islamic world, centered in Baghdad, was a fountain of commerce, science and learning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age

That ended with the Mongol sack of Baghdad, which at the time was also one of the largest cities in the world. The Mongols destroyed all the irrigation canals (which largely have not be rebuilt to this day), destroyed the libraries, and killed virtually all the male inhabitants and stacked their skulls in a giant pyramid. Baghdad was never again a world center of power, or even much more than a backwater. On the bright side they only had 21 laws.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement