Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11704  
Subject: Re: I'm Really Beginning To Hate The Weather Bea Date: 12/20/2012 8:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The heated seat driver side no longer works - $600

Bummer. That goes unfixed on an 8 year old car. Yes, even in winter in a place where winter is actually cold.

CV boot torn - $275

The typical fix is to replace the whole axle. The CV joint will go a long time with a torn boot. Then it will start making noises. At that point, it will still go a long time. If money is tight, I'd defer that one for now.

Now the key fob no longer works. Normally this wouldn't be earth shattering but the only place I can put a key in the whole vehicle is the driver's door. Want to open the hatch - nope - can't. No key hole no button. The fob itself is fine and holds a program, so they think the BCM is going back - $500, if I'm lucky

Power sliding doors - works when the feel like it

Those might both be related to a failing BCM. I know that aftermarket replacements aren't supposed to work. But they might and are likely a lot cheaper. I'd also scope out used parts. Electronics generally either work or they don't. There's rarely an inbetween condition. Might look for a loose connection somewhere. Might also look for a way to just kill off the power doors and make do with manual operation.

You probably knew all this already - just posting for the lurkers.

And I feel your pain. I'm putting up with a 98 Honda Odyssey. I hate this car, but it was a good deal when I needed a car, and I didn't know any better at the time. Bought it from a relative - the original owner - who was very happy with it. I put a tranny in it a few months ago.

The seats are hard and have no support. It rides like a truck. The radio sounds like its from the 60s. For a minivan that's going to break it's tranny periodically, I prefer my Chrysler. Much more comfortable. But it has bad power doors and a bad rear hatch, and bad fuel mileage.

I would be far more inclined to try and private sell below market value (say $6.5K) and find a replacement. :-/

Not a bad option. I've considered that with the Honda. Could probably get a Chrysler mini that's a couple of years newer for what I can get out of the Honda.

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement