UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75537  
Subject: Re: Lifecycle Funds Retirement Accounts Date: 1/18/2008 4:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The idea of moving a little at a time vs. moving it all is just another version of market timing. Over long periods of time, the target funds will go up faster than the S&P. In any short period, it is a crap shoot. Frankly right now I would move it -- yes the stock market will go down and with it the S&P. But your LifeCycle fund probably has some foreign stock/bond exposure. So the decreasing value of the dollat will be a gain.

You can and should visit Vanguard.com and look at the composition of the various Vanguard Life Cycle Funds. You will see they a composed of other Vanguard Funds. Myself, I drilled down into the underlying funds to determine both holdings and fees. For Vanguard 2025, see:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0304&FundIntExt=INT

The Holdings tab, https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/holdings?FundId=0304&FundIntExt=INT

Shows a much more diversified holding than the S&P index.

Even if your retirement date is 2025, there is no "rule" saying you must choose the 2025 -- choose 2035 or 2015 if those more closely match your investment needs.

I suggest you compare the Vanguard funds to T Rowe Price. I found the Vanguard a bit more conservative than my desires. I would assume you can switch from 2035 to 2025 in a few years if you want.

Do some reading at the Vanguard website -- they have lots of good advise and information.

Gordon
Atlanta
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement