Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9945  
Subject: the iPad future Date: 10/3/2012 8:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have been hearing more and more of the inevitable march toward new technologies in the classroom. Last night on NPR they noted that Arne Duncan, the Sec of Education was pushing to eliminate paper textbooks
"challenged schools and companies to get digital textbooks in students' hands within five years. The Obama administration's push comes two weeks after Apple Inc. announced it would start to sell electronic versions of a few standard high-school books for use on its iPad tablet."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/01/challenge-to-school...

The NPR story pointed out that South Korea, with the world's most ubiquitous highspeed networks, plans to eliminate paper textbooks by 2015!

Tonight on the way home, NPR had a story on BYOD (Bring your own device). They highlighted a school in NH that lets kids bring and use their devices in class. They have realized that it is as inevitable as the adoption of calculates in class back in my generation. I can still remember people older than myself bragging about how they used slide rulers, which was a true "skill" (but totally useless in the age of calculators). The school understands there can be problems and is taking the opportunity to teach kids about social network responsibilities and to use their tools properly. But they say they know the interactive devices are here to stay and they must adapt. They understand kids use these at home for their school work, so it is silly to take it away from them at school.

There are costs, growing pains, and inequities the must be resolved, but there is no turning back. The cheese is moving, move with it or starve is the message.

Think about the future of text books, where a good one can be purchased online for the price of an app, say $5 per student. My college books were $200, I imagine elementary school books are $50 each or more. Also imagine that you find a factual error after publication, you could update it and it would be downloaded like an app update! How can you sell a "book" for $5 or $1? volume, volume, volume, Right now, you have a publisher middle-man who takes a cut, buys the paper stock, stores them in warehouses, ships them to schools, etc. Imagine you are a great teacher and writer and you write your own book to sell for $1. Imagine 100,000 students or 1 million buying your book. Imagine open source text books - easy for a non-changing subject like addition. Imagine rich media teaching with videos, audio and text to better teach a subject. With links to more detailed data online for those that want to learn more on their own.

A comedian, Louis CK recently did something like this. He recorded one of his stand-up acts and sold it online for $1. Cost about $0. He was doing the show anyway, just uploaded like any video. 100,000 people paid $1 for it. Welcome to the web.

Yes, it is just a tool, but a powerful one. The schools and teachers that figure out how to leverage this best are going to be the ones that provide the best advantage for their students. Technology is cool!

P.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AcmeFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9779 of 9945
Subject: Re: the iPad future Date: 10/3/2012 11:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
Think about the future of text books, where a good one can be purchased online for the price of an app, say $5 per student.

They would not fall that far. I would be very surprised if any of my math textbooks would fall below $25, and even that level seems unlikely.

Yes, there is a lot of bloat in the system that can be removed. But look at the e-book market on Amazon. Plenty of books cannot go below the $12.99 level due to price floors set by the publisher. And that's for books that sell for under $25 at Barnes and Noble. If the book currently sells for $100+, the publisher is still going to step in, but at a much higher level.

You can then say...what about individuals coming to the table and creating their own book? Well, there are not that many people with all of the skills needed to create and market a textbook. It's a ton of work -- quite different from the comedian you reference -- and that's before you even get to the point of convincing someone to actually buy your book.

Acme

Author: prime13 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9780 of 9945
Subject: Re: the iPad future Date: 10/4/2012 12:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
Think about the future of text books, where a good one can be purchased online for the price of an app, say $5 per student

I am sure the publishers are pushing for this big time. That way they will cut their costs, and they will be able to sell the apps/ebooks again and again every year. I have seen a few exceptions but for most of the books I use that have electronic versions available, the cost of the ebook is not much less than the cost of the paper book and often the publisher is only selling a license to use the book for only a few months for the semester. They are a horrible deal. There are other nasty/deceitful things that I have seen publishers do but I will leave them for now since they are not on topic of this thread.

Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9791 of 9945
Subject: Re: the iPad future Date: 10/7/2012 1:59 PM
They would not fall that far. I would be very surprised if any of my math textbooks would fall below $25, and even that level seems unlikely.

I would be surprised if they did not fall that far. I think you are way underestimating the future and technology. I think you may be stuck in the current paradigm. I may be overestimating the time frame, but this will happen. When somebody looked at a rotary phone in 1975, they would have never conceived of an iPhone. When the $200 HP calculator came out in the 70s, who would have imagined a $2 solar powered calculator or said that every student will own one of these?

Look at the kind of content becoming available for free already.

Kahn Academy has 3400 videos (about 10 minutes each). Look at just the 12 math subjects through Calculus, differential equations, linear algebra. This is a glimpse at the future.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Yes, there is a lot of bloat in the system that can be removed. But look at the e-book market on Amazon. Plenty of books cannot go below the $12.99 level due to price floors set by the publisher. And that's for books that sell for under $25 at Barnes and Noble. If the book currently sells for $100+, the publisher is still going to step in, but at a much higher level.

It is not just bloat, it is the pricing of a monopoly. There are only a few publishers of text books, the market for hard books is locked. Why can't the Gates foundation fund creating the best elementary school math books? Books that once written don't have to change, of if they have minor fixes, they are automatically updated - free and immediate. Why can't Apple create or sponsor some innovative iCourses to start the ball rolling? Look at what Apple has done to the music industry.

Sure, a publisher has no incentive to sell Harry Potter cheaper as an e-book than as paper, and they make even more profits. But "new" books sell because they are interesting and get on Oprah's book list. But a math book is not in that category. Once a great one is written, why write a new one every year or every 4 years. Addition does not change.

You can then say...what about individuals coming to the table and creating their own book? Well, there are not that many people with all of the skills needed to create and market a textbook. It's a ton of work -- quite different from the comedian you reference -- and that's before you even get to the point of convincing someone to actually buy your book.

There are sufficient people with those skills. Besides, you don't need very many. Again, it is not like Harry Potter where you want to keep the series going and you need to be a brilliant writer to make that happen. Somebody already writes those books. They probably make squat for it. In the recording industry, the band gets about a dollar an album. Let's say a math book author gets the same. What if he realized he could write that same content in an app or e-book that sells for $1 but he can sell 10 times as many or 100 times as many? Writing Angry Birds was a lot of work, but somebody did it and the public accepted it and bought it. It will be different for schools and much more difficult for school districts, who are scared to make a bad decision, so they just go with whatever Texas chooses. But it will start slowly, flexible charter schools can make that decision without a bureaucracy to deal with. Parents might start using them as supplemental aids at home (like Kahn Academy) and then start to force the schools to buy into it.

Even though I really love Kahn Academy, it is not even interactive. They are just 10 minute YouTube videos (but you can take some test, get results, track history and progress). But there are already apps out that that are really interactive and cool. Imagine a biology app that lets you slide your finger to watch mitosis in forward and reverse until you get it.

Apple has a long history of giving schools devices to "brainwash" the students into loving Apple, get publicity and goose future sales, but the schools get a lot out of it too. Might they create a cheap school iPad, some starter apps and then give it away in experimental programs with the hopes that schools and parents will start buying them.

The world is changing, will change and can't be stopped. We need to completely change the way we look at teaching and learning. This is the biggest change since we went from one-room school houses to individual classes and teachers. Get your ticket and climb on board.

Who would have thought that millions of computers are running a free operating system (Linux), including many in major corporations and data centers? This was all done though open source on the internet. For some reason, people make update for free, don't know why, but it works. Wikipedia, which has plenty of issues, is updated for free by the world. Imagine a school book that can receive input from anyone, but maybe has a better regulated update process than Wikipedia.

There are all sorts of possibilities, many that none of us see yet, but with almost 7 billion people in the world and the internet as our playground and storefront, this will happen. Text book publishing on paper is doomed.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9793 of 9945
Subject: Re: the iPad future Date: 10/7/2012 4:21 PM
Even though I really love Kahn Academy, it is not even interactive. They are just 10 minute YouTube videos (but you can take some test, get results, track history and progress).

There's a game you can play that starts with basic addition and goes pretty far, but it has limitations.

We tried to use it with a couple of classes last year.

Ishtar

Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9796 of 9945
Subject: Re: the iPad future Date: 10/8/2012 7:41 PM
We tried to use it with a couple of classes last year
Was it helpful? Would you try it again? Did you try an experiment with half students using it and half not?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement