UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Joke3MD One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884995  
Subject: The Irony of Fools Date: 3/20/2004 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
What makes us Foolish?

It seems that it's a little bit of thinking "outside the box," astute observation, and refusal to be persuaded without convincing evidence. Being Foolish, to me, is to maximizing our wealth and security by saving intelligently and investing wisely. Along the way, we try to help others do the same.

There is a fundamental irony to the Foolish position, though.

We, especially when LBYM, scrape and save to invest money into compaines that continually try to sell us on the complete opposite of LBYM. blackmare's "Middle Class Squeeze" ( http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20510543 ) was an excellent look into part of how this happens.

There has been a fundamental change in how many aspects of our financial lives are viewed by modern Americans, especially regarding debt and credit--I think everyone here at the Fool knows this. While I feel fortunate to be among those who have recognized their own problems, and are trying to correct them, I wish more people would wake up to the fact that we, as a country, are digging a hole that will be very difficult to climb out of. Endless consumption is being sold to a public that cannot afford it, enriching the people at the top of the ladder at the expense of the bottom.

So why do I find this so ironic? We, as Fools, are working against the very principles fostered by some of the companies we are invested in. In some ways, we are making money by encouraging values in others that we ourselves would never espouse. It's a slightly hypocritical position to be in--I'm not anti-capitalism, but I do feel wrong profitting off people who don't know any better.

That is why I tell everyone I know with a financial question to go to The Motley Fool and educate themselves. We need to foster smart consumerism that helps society as a whole grow and prosper, and I'm glad that we Fools are here to help.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement