Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The IRS allows you to sell the shares you choose, as long as you instruct your broker. If you instruct your broker to sell the oldest shares (or the shares you purchased more than 365 days ago) you'll owe LTCG tax not STCG tax.

Some brokers make this very easy online; some require that you call them up and use telebroker; some require that you speak to a live person. Ask your broker what the procedure is to specify a specific lot to sell.

Some brokers make it diffic
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.